Sign in to follow this  
Tdub

Youth shotgun?

My daughter has finally reached the age to hunt! She will not be old enough to hunt javelinas so we put her in for turkey. This is all new to me and thought this would be the place to reach out for help/ suggestions. I'm looking to get her a shotgun that she can handle and have a good experience with. All the shotguns we have are old and too big for her and as I have started looking it seems like there are several options out there for youth shotguns. Cost is a consideration however I have two boys that are following in her footsteps so it would get some use.

Thanks for any help.

you really can not go wrong with a youth mossberg 500 pump in 20 gauge. solid guns and not that expensive. you can pick them up at most pawn shops or at the gun shows.

Look for any major brand with interchangeable chokes. Aftermarket 2 point adjustable sights will help with focus and extend your range. Also look for shorter barrels (20” to 24”), they will be lighter and easier for kids to hold and swing. Study’s on modern shotguns and ammo have shown you reach max velocity at 20”. Most of the new turkey specialized guns are now shorter barrels. I switched 4 or 5 years ago from a 28” to a 24” and I would never pack a 28” for turkey again.

a little pricey but son loves his rem 870 youth express

ive had mine for 17+ years, still schucking like a champ and still one of my favorites to shoot. You can find good deals on chokes, and with some of the newer shell options (hevi-shot) a 20ga will knock the stew out of a turkey

I've read that semi autos have approximately 40% less recoil than the pump. Do you think this is true and worth the extra money?

As well my grandpa has a over under 28 gauge. I have no experience with this gun but of it fits my daughter would it be worth using despite the cost of the ammunition?

You'll be extremely hard pressed to find a "turkey load" for the 28ga, its continued existence is due to the sub gauge classes of skeet, and therefore skeet loads.

Semi-autos do recoil less. If it’s worth the money, I cannot say. If you do go that route the “gas” semi-autos have more recoil reduction than “inertia-recoil” guns.

Good options in the gas gun market include the Berettas, Rem 1100’s and 11-87’s. I believe there is a 20ga 1100 for sale in the classifieds here.

The most common “starter” guns in Scholastic Clays are 1100’s and 11-87’s for their reliability and soft shooting. They are unbeatable in the dove fields as well.

Good luck

a little pricey but son loves his rem 870 youth express

+1 on the 870 youth express.

semi autos do have a little less kick but they are also heavier than a pump. something to consider when it comes to carrying them around. I would recommend trying to find one that has sling swivels/studs.

+2 on the youth 870 express. Solid, reliable - gets the job done. 2 of my 3 sons killed their first ever turkeys with this gun, and my middle son, Nick has taken a couple with it. No need to over-think it. Either a mossberg pump or a Remington pump.

For what it's worth, my younger cousin killed more turkeys with a break-over single shot .410 than a lot of "seasoned" turkey hunters. And all of his birds came into the seductive calls of my grandpa, who hand-built all of his turkey calls out of oak, cedar and some juniper.

It isn't the shotgun that kills turkeys, it's the call.

Thanks for all the input. I have looked at several shotguns over the last week. I just saw today that Walmart carried the mossberg 500 for $250 and I think sportsmans warehouse had the Remington 870 for a similiar price. I hope to pick one of these up in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

I have a Rossi .410/.22 if you'd be interested for a good price.

Hate to rehash this but i've found a smokin setup for my 870 youth.

3" fed heavyweight 7's outta a Truglo Super Stopper Extreme tube. 130+ pellets in a 10" circle @ 40 yards. That will knock the bejesus outta any turkey.

Normally w/ lead i run 5's or 6's. But the federal heavyweight is heavier than lead, therfore you can shoot a smaller pellet size and have more pellets that retain enough energy.