Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Barrel groove rust

I'd like to think that I take good care of my rifles,. I clean regularly and store dry and oiled. I dont shoot a lot,ss once a month or so maybe more during season. I recently notices that my 270 and my sons 30-06 have light rust in the grooves. I have brushed them over and over, and used a spray in foam cleaner that sits in the barrel for 30 min and then cleaned again. they both shoot fine. actually my sons 30-06 is unreal accurate. I'm starting to think my 270 isn't grouping that great, but maybe my son is just out shooting me. ha ha.

anyway, should I be concerned with this rust? I mean I assume it's rust, it rust in color and only in the grooves and it's light.

Any idea on how I can get it out? Just brush and brush and brush some more? Can you pull a brush back through after going from bore to barrel? I was always told to unscrew the brush pull the rod back through and then go bore to crown again.

Thanks for any help

It's copper fouling, try something aggressive like Barnes cr10. Let a patch sit on that area for about 10 minutes then wipe it out

ok I did some reading and it seems like what I have is cooper fouling. But the Gunslick Foam spray I used is supposed to remove that and turn green if there is cooper fouling when wiped out but my patchers were not green at all. any other product

There is nothing wrong with pulling your brush back through the barrel as long as you completely pushed the brush out of the muzzle first. In fact that is what most people do. Midway has some great videos on YouTube that demonstrate rifle cleaning this way.

I would recommend sweets, it removes the copper fouling better than anything I've used. Just don't let it set in your barrel for more than 5-10 minutes, I general only let it sit for 5 minutes max. I would recommend removing all the other burnt powder and crud out first, run some patches through until they come out clean , nice and white. Then when that is all out, start using sweets (or other copper cutting cleaner) with a nylon brass brush. After it sits for a few minutes when you start running your patches through they will come out blue/green which is the copper being broke down. This could take a little bit of time, depend on how much copper is in the barrel. Hope this helps.

and if you get rust try a lapping kit, put different grits on rounds and shoot them, it cleans them up pretty good provided it is not too corroded.

I use the gunslik foaming bore cleaner and I let it sit overnight before I patch it out. Give it time to work and I bet you get a lot of copper out.

Here's my bore cleaning method . Two patches with Sweets down the bore , let sit for about five minutes . Next brush the bore with a bronze brass brush and Butch's bore shine , two strokes for every shot you have put down the bore , use a bore guide and don't let the brush exit completely , that will save the crown . Push the brush down the bore from the breach slowly , this is not a race , till the brush just begins to exit . Now pull it back and repeat this once for every shot down the bore . Run one patch with hydrogen peroxide after brushing , this is going to foam out the copper and powder fouling and neutralize the solvents . Dry patch till the bore is completely dry and there is no more black , blue , or green . Otherwise you will have to start over . Next don't forget to clean the chamber . There will be a tough ring from powder fouling that will form at the end of the chamber . Remove this by twirling a larger diameter brush in the chamber ( add one caliber larger diameter ) with Bore Shine . Now dry the chamber with several patches . If you don't remove the chamber ring , you will eventually have pretty wacky shooting rifle . Keep in mind that factory bores are very rough , and they will require more frequent cleaning . Finally use a good oil such as Butch's gun oil to protect the bore . Always shoot a fouler through the bore before shooting for score or hunting . Most gun owners never put in enough work to clean their rifles properly and have no way to verify their cleaning process . This process has been verified by a bore scope and years of experience shooting paper and game ( thousands of rounds a year ) ! Never leave anything in your bore overnight !

Been doing it for years with nothing but excellent shooting rifles and very clean bores to show for it. I run a brush up and back then foam it up. Brass is much softer than steel and the brush will not damage the crown.