idgaf

36-c semi realtime updated hunting trip

I do not know where to post this topic, so Amanda please move as you see fit. After not hunting deer since Jan 17 of 2012. I planned this trip for me and my nephew for this week he was off of school, but for whatever reason he was not allowed go at the last minute. Not wanting to waste the opportunity I came solo until Sunday Jan 6. I used Jan 1 as a travel day and played road warrior against the sonoran skiers as I traveled down from my home in Show Low. I will also be trying three different hunting styles; stillhunting, stand hunting, and spot and stalk, in that order. (Road hunting is always an option)

I am trying to take that next in my hunting progression from mature animal hunter to a person who gets true giants. My wife does question my sanity. No guarantees if I will be able to take the step, but I am trying.

Day 2 began with me leaving camp just after first light and within five or so minutes of stillhunting I saw the only deer I would see for the day. It would test my resolve on whether or not I can do it I had this guy at twenty yards for a couple of minutes. Please excuse the blurriness when I put the bow down and grabbed the camera out of my pocket I started shaking like crazy.

post-4480-0-48412900-1357182611_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-30991700-1357182674_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-13741500-1357182768_thumb.jpg

A little after I grabbed my composure I stopped by to see an old friend. An ocotillo that I thought was big and out of place on the flats 30 years ago, but is even larger now. I have been hunting this area since it I was big enough to pump a pellet gun.

post-4480-0-85057700-1357183745_thumb.jpg

A short time after that I ran into my first batch of Javelina spooking them in every direction. I remember reading on the javelina forum just to stay still and they will come back. which I did and a pig at twenty yards for a while and eventually wiffed the shot. I am now 0-8 on my last eight shots on these little guys with every type of weapon.

I keep hunting all day until about 2:30 and I stumble upon a herd of javelina. I had the wind perfect and started taking pictures as I inched forward. There were several but I picked out the napping as the one I wanted to put my tag on. You can see the line of his back behind the "V" of the palo verde.

post-4480-0-91507500-1357184295_thumb.jpg

I missed a 38 yard shot which normally I can shoot a dime at that distance. After looking and not finding any signs of a hit I was retracing my steps when another pig woofed at me and kept coming closer. At fifteen yards I felt it was self defense and fired my third arrow of the day knowing this was a hit I gathered my arrow only to be in disgust that I made a bad shot. These little guys have my number. I gave it an hour or so and started my trailing.

post-4480-0-66997700-1357184706_thumb.jpg

After losing the trail after a short distance I walked the arroyo in frustration and found him about 150 yards from where I shot.

post-4480-0-84400600-1357184892_thumb.jpg

I read some excerpts from Carl Hathcock's book about focusing in on the sights which I did. I guess I did not realize it had turned towards and instead of a broadside shot it was a quartering to shot. The entrance was exactly where I aimed the exit was right before the opposite hip.

post-4480-0-72465800-1357185252_thumb.jpg

Up next for day 3 Standman Style. I admire Standman's ability to stay put for hours at a time. I think that is a form of punishment in Guantanamo. I have told myself I will stay until two o clock no matter what. I am only hoping the giant coues are thirsty and the rock climbers could not find any bio-diesel to power there subaru's. I will be in the shade of Elephants Butt waiting for whats next.

• Like 1

I thought about shooting and it must have looked comical. The conversation I was having with the voices in my head, but I have a couple of similar bucks on the wall already. Now I want something huge or really cool.

• Like 3

Congrats on the pig... yeah that would of been a dead deer in my book! Keep it up and have fun!

• Like 1

Congrats on the pig! Way to show some serious resolve on passing that buck. Good luck on your hunt!

I know that buck! Good job on the javelina! I'm about to head out on the same hunt...

Great story! Love the pics and its okay that you didnt shoot the deer so you can keep us hunting with you! Now as for me, Im shooting that buck quick! That is some great country!

• Like 1

standman has ice in his vanes from all the cold weather sittin! he's a BA for sure! LOL!

nice job gettin the javelina... and good luck finding your buck!

James

• Like 1

standman has ice in his vanes from all the cold weather sittin! he's a BA for sure! LOL!

nice job gettin the javelina... and good luck finding your buck!

James

Lol! After the last there days icebergs are a flowing. Cold with brutal winds.

Good luck. I would have poked a hole in that muley. :)

Brian

Thanks for all the props on the pig and passing on that deer. My sixteen year old daughter just finished giving me a verbal lashing like you would not believe. It went something to the effect of "Are you crazy?? What are you doing not shooting that? Look at the points above its eyebrows there HUGE and you did not shoot. You will not get a chance like that again!!! I would have shot!!"

Day 3

This morning started off incredible smooth and then got progressively worse. Not that it was bad, just that I never got into sync. I grabbed a thermos of coffee made lunch ate breakfast and was headed to my destination in record time. I got there and there were no bio-diesels there so I thought I was running good. I was headed down the fenced off road to my destination with full intention of staying until mid afternoon. Trying to get to my spot and version of an elevated blind I climbed the rock face in the predawn darkness. When I got to the top I realized it was the wrong rock. I proceeded to do this one more time before I found the right rock.

My version of an elevated blind is a rock bluff.

post-4480-0-53702300-1357265939_thumb.jpg

After about thirty minutes of getting things situated I took a couple of pics and settled down to wait until Mr. big shows up.

post-4480-0-00422200-1357266224_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-42272700-1357266306_thumb.jpg

Then the first batch of rock climbers came in. From there direction I was in plane view but they could not see. I heard how Ecuador and Switzerland have the best climbing and them speculate on why there were bathtubs next to the water and watched discuss how to cross the dam from 30' away. My only regret is I did not get a picture of the front of his sweater with the argyle. It looked liked he was dressed to impress his freshman English Lit. professor. Which is all ok they have every right to be there, but what is up with the shoes.

post-4480-0-67452000-1357266762_thumb.jpg

After watching them go the wrong way twice things settled down a little bit and I began to watch the water in anticipation for Mr big. Then the next batch of bio-dieselers came in. This batch had a map app on his Iphone and at the water took a right to follow the map and kept going, even tough Elephant Butt was clearly forward. This guy was in the wilderness of Southern Arizona to go hiking with a friend and he will be back in Washington after he helps his mom with a couple of things.

post-4480-0-97076700-1357267145_thumb.jpg

Time to cut bait and get out of there fast before I feel the urge to become vegan and love all things Subaru.

I go to a makeshift spot after the mile plus walk out and try to make the most of my day. I finally see a whitetail while sitting still, 3 does. I f taking a picture when my camera batteries died. I saw one other thing after that a group of twas in the process miniature doves flew in. They seemed to half the size of a regular dove.

post-4480-0-42970700-1357268014_thumb.jpg

I get back to camp and decide to stay in the flats for the rest of the evening. I came across one set of tracks that I would like to see who made them. Roughly three inches long.

post-4480-0-78686400-1357268165_thumb.jpg

Up next for Day 4. The age old question for anybody who has hunted the northern part of 36c, Kinda like "Ginger or Marianne" or for my generation Rachel or Monica. That would be Redondo or Solano Canyons. I know Redondo very well and its has been kind to me,one time we were there was six or seven branch antlered bucks chasing does like rut crazed elk, but I am not after the "average" big deer. I am after one that will take my breath so I may go to the back of Solano.