idgaf

36-c semi realtime updated hunting trip

Great way to end the trip. Looks like a successful hunt to me as you never let go of your goals and got to enjoy every day. Thanks for taking the time to take us along!

awesome read!

thanks for taking us along!

those pics of the bucks fighting is just way cool!

James

Great stories! I was in 24a and didnt see much rutting activity! Lots of does and not bucks chasing! Im sure they will show up soon!

Well if you guys are interested I can do a chapter 2. Bad news is they just closed my office/branch. Good news is I have a ninety day severance package and a deer tag in my wallet. I am planning on going for 4-6 days next week before I start my job search if you are interested I will take you along. Anybody need an electrical salesperson ;)

After volunteering at my former job for a few days I finally made it back down to 36c for what I thought be 5 or 6 days. Best Laid plans never seem to go the way you want. Due to some things I did not anticipate I will only be able to hunt two plus days. There have been two things I have learned in the last 24 hours or so. First is there are two kinds of people in this world the ones that cant wait until Friday and the ones that cant wait until Monday. I realized which one I am and its not the fun one. Second thing is hunters put themselves through heck for fun.

Day 8. I get up from sleep and have the luxury of starbucks. I am staying at my brothers house for this one. I decided that today I would go to the top of the mountain about a quarter of the way up I stop and look and see deer in each direction I am not headed. Good sign I hope.

post-4480-0-87757600-1358656633_thumb.jpg

I go further then look back down the mountain and realize the last statement from the last paragraph. We, as hunters, do this for fun.

post-4480-0-31684100-1358658098_thumb.jpg

Further up the hill I see a buck that I could have "cut em off at the pass" and got within at least the edge of my distance, but instead just watch to see what the heck he was up to.

post-4480-0-92705900-1358861721_thumb.jpg

Found this guy giving me his intense glare

post-4480-0-40658600-1358862037_thumb.jpg

I get back to the truck after spending some time on top of the mountain and decide to hit a few waterholes to see if there are any ducks around for pictures and maybe an archery shot. This is mid-day on the flats as flat can get, miles from the slightest undulation of hill where a coues would be. I look I and see this guy I immediately think shooter whitetail, but then realize I am three miles from the nearest hill and it's just a nice young muley then it turned. I drove down the road thirty or fourty yards or so and grab my bow. I go to where I watched and took pics of this buck for several minutes and I drop to my knees to get the arrow under the canopy of mesquite branches as I start pulling back he takes off like he is shot of a cannon. This buck falls under the cool category. He is so far from where his genetics tell us where he is suppose to be I would have been happy to shoot him.

post-4480-0-49909600-1358659363_thumb.jpg

One of these days I will go from novice photographer to amateur photographer and look out.

Days 9 and 10 kinda run together with all the other stuff going on. Last time I checked the calender it was January, but mother nature was telling me otherwise with this guy. He was well over four feet long.

post-4480-0-90537000-1358908199_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-57884900-1358908500_thumb.jpg

I only had about two hours before I had to go up the freeway to my next appointment so I took a couple of pics of this little guy and left

You got to admire the effort.

post-4480-0-91475600-1358908927_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-55537100-1358909102_thumb.jpg

I tried to shoot one of these guys friends but ended up with nothing but feathers. Anyone can shoot quail but hitting them with an arrow and allowing them to live is a true talent.

post-4480-0-51405400-1358909545_thumb.jpg

I broke my bino's so I will try to waterhole sit once or twice before the end of the season in hopes of getting one like that flatlander coues at least I hope to.

Sorry about the job. However your hunt looks like alot of fun. I dont think those snakes read the play book I still always watch my feet in snake country.

Sorry about the job. However your hunt looks like alot of fun. I dont think those snakes read the play book I still always watch my feet in snake country.

Thanks, Its no problem on the job part. Nothing official yet but managed to keep everyone I work with employed together. I hope I can get out for few days before the end of season.

This has been a great ride. Love the stories and pics. Sorry to hear about the job. Dang snakes. I keep a look out for them even elk hunting in snow! Thanks for taking the time for us. Truly enjoyable. Heading down there in a couple of weeks for stink pigs.