rygo72

What do you use to keep it steady?

I have a Bipod that I rarely use cuz it digs into my shoulder on long hikes, I will use whatever is around to rest on. I prefer to take my pack off and lay down and shoot across it, I've also used rocks at just the right height. The last two Coues I've shot were off hand, one @110yds and the other @180yds, I won't shoot longer distances without using something for a rest and my rifle has the scars to prove it!

The longest shot I've made on a Coues was 328yds, my rifle is zeroed @300yds. I think it's easier to hold a little low for up close shots that hold real high for longer shots.

I will also try to use my pack first, then what ever else I can find.

If I roll the window down about half way and turn off the ignition, it's pretty steady.

If I've got time, I shoot off of an adapter I made out of a PVC "T" that mounts on my tripod. If not, I'll take what I can get or just do it the old fasioned way (offhand). I got tired of the extra weight of the Harris bi-pod. Plus the bi-pod is a pain to shoot off of if shooting uphill at all. My tripod can be raised or lowered to about any shooting height and pans and tilts to any position.

Kevin

#1 Prone over the daypack seems steadiest to me.

#2 Stoney Point tripod with rear support arm for the rifle butt (the rear supprt really makes a diff)

#3 Steady Stix (Add-on tripod leg is better than w/ 2 legs)

#4 Harris Bipod, 27" swivel model (heavy and digs in the shoulder)

RR

The top if my hiking stick or my shooting sticks.

Like R.R. said a rear rest makes a big difference! Most guys will sandbag the front and rear of their rifles on the bench but never think twice about a rear support in the field. As far as how I keep it steady, I usually sit on Coosfan's lap and put my barrel through his toes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like R.R. said a rear rest makes a big difference! Most guys will sandbag the front and rear of their rifles on the bench but never think twice about a rear support in the field. As far as how I keep it steady, I usually sit on Coosfan's lap and put my barrel through his toes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats funny as heck. How do ya keep his toes from a twitchen :lol:

The only time it's ever been a problem is when he had athletes foot. Got an itch right as I pulled the trigger. Blew the horn off a good lookin coues that day.Never did understand how somebody like Jim could get athletes foot? He aint much of an athlete! :lol: :lol: Just kidden Jimbo.

Great Question!

I usually look for a Solid rest on my pack, jacket, over a rock outcrop or tree.

I do have a harris bipod installed but never seem to have a perfect position to use it. Downhill, Uphill, sidehill.... etc. Maybe it is time to take it off since I'm not likely to need it for coues again anyway.

Shooting sticks seem interesting and I have relatives who use them but they seem to like the harris bipod better. I guess the grass is always greener...

Guest Ernesto C
Like R.R. said a rear rest makes a big difference! Most guys will sandbag the front and rear of their rifles on the bench but never think twice about a rear support in the field. As far as how I keep it steady, I usually sit on Coosfan's lap and put my barrel through his toes! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahahhaha.....to bad we can't use the same tecnique with Arizona Guide his feet smell really bad and not only that it will probably damage the finish of the barrel :lol: