Sign in to follow this  
kwp

IPhone GPS app

Those of you with iPhones or iPads have a reccomendation for a GPS app with maps that will work without a cell signal?

Thx

I did a short write up on this search my posts. cabelas recon is probably the best, motion x, and back country are also good. You will need to practice cacheing the maps so you know it is saved and viewable the way you want. Cabelas and back country offer boundary info such as private land etc. you will also need to buy a Bluetooth GPS transmitter the xgps one is excellent. With this you end up with the best gps screen possible which garmin or any others can't touch. You can even use it with an iPad so a couple people can view all at once. The transmitter allows full location and track back features.

Let me if you have any questions on the set up.

Gaia is good, it has topos and sat images. You can also download topos if you go somewhere with weak cell service.

I've been using Gaia now for a little over a year and love it.

There's an app called Topo Maps that works great for that purpose. Can download them to your phone for when you don't have service too.

Thanks for the info guys, I knew I could get good info here.

My hunting partner downloaded Cabelas recon and it looks pretty sweet but won't do (or we couldn't figure out) a few things that we would have liked. Sounds like there are some very good options out there for me to look further into.

what options are you looking for?

Don't beat yourself up I am sure someone else has already had the same questions or challenges you are having. All of the apps have some quirks or one or two unique features. I settled on Cabela's and Motion X because they have a few different features that make having maps cached with both useful. Motion X main attraction is the Bing satellite maps which seem to be much more current images than Google. I replaced BackCountry with Cabela's since it makes completely loading and planning a trip on your MAC/PC easy to do and then sync with your handheld device. Recon like back country also has the private land overlay maps so you know where you are allowed to hunt.

Looking to change the coordinates from Lat/Long to UTM. More importantly I'd like to be able to add a waypoint to a specific location on the map. I see how to add a waypoint to your current location but not a different location.