Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Vortex Viper HD 15x50 vs. Kaibab HD 15x56

Ok, so after tossing around the idea of getting a spotting scope, I think I will be better served by upgrading my binoculars with that money instead. I currently have the Viper HD 15x50 and love them, but I'm ready to upgrade. Is the jump to the Kaibab worth the $600 difference? What is the difference between the 2 other than the larger objective. I understand it's a different housing, but it appears to be the same glass.

I need some input here before I go spend the $1200 on these bad boys.

It's hard for me to justify spending so much unless its a huge difference better than the Kaibabs.

I was up on the mountain with my Bro-in-law, my kaibabs and his swaros, and we compared side by side. The deer in the middle of the FOV were the same clarity. However, there was a slight fuzziness immediately around the edge of the kaibabs when focused out further than 800yds. Also, there was a clear coloration difference. The swaros gave the colors a whiter hue, while the kaibabs were more of a bluish hue. Probably not noticeable when youre glassing, but evident side by side. Just my observations. Swaros aren't worth it to me, and he was brave enough to admit the difference wasn't worth it to him. My $.02

I personally like the viper's better than the kaibabs. I can not stand the fit of the kaibabs. If it were me, I would scrap vortex all together and look at other options. Swaro being my number one and leica, zeiss are close seconds. Really it just comes down to personal preference and fit is everything.

You will regret it and look back if you drop them I have glasses with sworos and Kaibabs side by side and I can't justify spending that much more money on the sworos you can do just as good glassing with the Kaibabs and the warranty is unbeatable they will be the last binos you ever have to buy I'm not taking any thing away from the sworos and just sayin you will get the most bang for you buck with Kaibabs I don't think the sworos are worth it to spend that much more on

I had the same decision two years ago and went with the kiababs for my 15's.

I agree the Swaro's are clearer on the edges and they do let a little more light in, but I bought both the 50's and the 56's for what you would pay for 1 pair of Swaro's.