Sign in to follow this  
ndaniel

Elk hunting

I have been hanging around this website for quite some time. I am very impressed with all the hunting information that is here on this board. I have been hunting for 2 years now and took my first game this past january (archery javelina). I was drawn this fall for an archery bull tag in one of the northern units, I have hunted this unit before for cow elk with my bow but was unsuccesful (no surprise there). I was just wondering what methods all of you who have been succesful or unsuccesful with a bull tag use when hunting bulls? Spot and stalk? Calling? Sitting trails? I know that it all depends on how hard the rut is going during that time, but what is your primary method? During my cow hunt I came across a lot of bulls within close range (go figure) so I know the area pretty well. I'm just looking for ADVICE on how you all hunt these beautiful creatures with huge horns. Thanks a lot and this is a great site!

get in good shape and run em down. really. you can catch elk quite easy, if you stay after em. they'll leave the open country pretty quick when it gets light, and then they slow up and fight and fart around and whatever. that's where you'll catch em. don't worry a lot about being seen by a herd. they really don't pay that much attention to you, and if you do spook em, they won't go to far. bow hunting elk is an all day thing. stay on em. don't try to call a bull to you. go to him and try to call him away just a little ways. or just follow em and wait for one to make a mistake and walk by you. don't get into all the scent lock and cover up stuff, they are too busy with all the other rut activity to pay a lot of attention to a funny smell. stay as clean as you can, but it isn't that big o' deal. main thing is to stay on em and learn to use a diaphram call, especially to cow call. and learn to make a sound like a cow really makes, not some of these varmint call noises that some of these calls make. and get good with your bow out to about 40 yards. stay with em and let them make a mistake. cammo color doesn't matter a lot either, as long as it's dark. if you're still, you'll just look like a shadow. and make sure your face is covered with something. i'm gonna predict that with the bow season moved back a week that it's gonna be a good hunt and sometime during it you're gonna have a day or two where the elk go nuts. have fun. Lark.

Thanks for the info....you mentioned not trying to call the bull to me...I have heard that another method is to use a bugle to locate a bull, and then move towards them, is this a good option?

And do not forget your hoochie Mama or some other cow call they are pricless. Welcome to the site as well. I know you are on the sportsmans journal alot.

From my limited experience, I would use the bugle as little as possible especially when you are fairly close to the bull. Different bulls will react different to the bugle. Some bulls will come to you, while others will take their cows and leave. When it's heavy rutting time, you don't need the bugle to locate because they will be bugling on their own. It the rut isn't going quite as strong, then I would definately use the bugle for locating, then sneak in and use soft cow talk in close to lure the bull away from the cows.

Travis

Thanks...I do have the hoochie mama call, I was also looking into some of the mouth calls as they seem to be a little more conveniant..

Thanks Travis...I had some minor experience on my cow hunt last year...walked by a raghorn with a buddy and we were able to call him into about 30 yards with the hoochie mama....it was pretty neat

If they are bugling try to get as close as possible to the elk and use a hyper hot cow call. I have used the WoodWise model (arizona made) with success even though I was a beginner. The trouble will be the number of smaller bulls that come in. I do believe if you get close enough you can get the herd bull to check you out.

Bob

Learn to shoot from your knees. Elk are way more forgiving to something low profile than to you standing up. Also if were your hunting has long ridges with side draws be on top of the rigde well before daylight. When the herd bull lines out his cows to push them up to bed, get to the top of the draw he's coming up. They will useally walk right past you without having to call much at all.

good advice by all...i cant say anything cuz mostly everything was covered...just hunt hard and diligently...and you will have the time of your life....man i love elk hunting in the rut..awesome stuff...anyone hearing any bugling around the state?...i know last year during my cow hunt in the beginning of september they were going crazy

shootin' from your knees is good advice. be real careful that nothing hits your bottom cam. i called a real nice 6x6 in to about 10 yards to a guy once and his arrow ended up cradled across it's eye guards, because his bottom cam hit the ground and messed up the shot. the elk sure looked funny runnin' backards lookin' up at that weird lookin' deal layin' in it horns. you need to bugle to locate bulls. even after you are on em, sometimes you need to bugle to get the bulls to tell you exactly where they are. but big ones will usually shut up if they hear an unfamiliar bugle. listen to the cows. when one of em makes a sound that seems to really get em to whistlin', try to imitate it. i like a fairly thick reeded diaphram call myself. i can control the sounds i get a lot better. at least a 2 reed. most of the time a 3 reed seems best. and you can use a diaphram with your bow at full draw or without any movement at all. something you can't do with hoochie mamas and hyperhots and all them others. plus you can call quail, coyotes, hawks, turkeys, foxes, deer, and about anything else with one if ya need to. and don't get into all this chucklin' and gruntin' and stuff. it usually doesn't sound realistic and seems to just upset the elk. it's ok if you're just playin' around. but when you're down to the nut cuttin', don't play around. make noises that you can make sound good while you're outta breath and excited. i use an old abe and sons tube and blow a diaphram through it. if one busts ya, just sit still for a minute and get back after em. they'll forget about it, if you don't show em a human form or really spook em. main thing is be as aggressive as you can without wreckin' the whole deal. they can walk and feed about as fast as you can run. sneakin' ain't gonna get you anywhere, unless you're really close. then get them to come to you. it's easier than you think. if you're tough enough to get there. and wear dark clothes. even if you're in the middle of a meadow, if you hunker down, you just look like a shadow. elk are colorblind, and the best color matched cammo there is sticks out like sore thumb to em. Lark.

I would say to learn to shoot from the pant's down around your ancles squat. That seems to be when you see the biggest bull on the mountain right. They seem to not care if you are taking care of nature calling. Keep bow or rifle close at hand when in this position as well. ;) :lol: :lol:

I would say to learn to shoot from the pant's down around your ancles squat. That seems to be when you see the biggest bull on the mountain right. They seem to not care if you are taking care of nature calling. Keep bow or rifle close at hand when in this position as well. ;) :lol: :lol:

:lol: shooting an animal while taking a crap...thats some useful multi-tasking

I was drawn this fall for an archery bull tag in one of the northern units, I have hunted this unit before for cow elk with my bow but was unsuccesful (no surprise there

Ndaniel, I read this and started thinking about what it was really saying. First you need to have confidence. You may miss a bull , you may hit one and not find it. I killed my Pope and Young bull on the 10th day of the hunt. Remind yourself of the Javelina Kill and build on that experience and get rid of the unsuccessfull (no surprise here) thing. You were drawn for a archery bull tag and it may be years before you get the opportunity again. Relish the moment, get up early, stay out ALL day long. Hunt as many total days as possible.

A good book that you can get on Ebay for about 6.00 bucks or so is Dwight Schuh's " Bugling for Elk" an Early Season Guide to Elk Hunting. It's been around for years and the information is true today as 25 years ago.

Some of the topics include, Calls, and Calling, Locating a bull, bugle him in, Other approaches to hunting and the nature of elk hunting. It will offer you some strategy , when that MONARCH walks in at close range.

Good Luck and hope you drop one! ;)

AzP&Y

Doug