Sign in to follow this  
jeremiah lindsey

help!

i have been callin predators for about two years iv triead many calls and even baught a johnny steweert ecaller(hasnt worked) all iv called in in these two years was a lion but i saw him about 300 yards out before i started calling any advice on how to get my coyotes i hunt on the santa cruze river by my house and in farm fields by my house forem . any tips?

Move away from houses, that's not working try to get farther away from where you think people might be calling. Educated dogs are extremely hard to call

I am the same baot as you are but I have baught 3 e callers and probley $200 0r $300 in hand calls. I think I dont wait long enuff. Can't wait to see where this goes. And I am out where I don't think it has been called that much. I would trade all the dogs in Az for a Mt. lion even if you saw it first that is good calling

• Like 1

Go to PredatorMasters.com and read. DO NOT make a new post, READ the old ones, read the stickies at the top. There are hundreds of pages with the same answers over and over.

Chances are your not setting up well. Make sure you can see down wind really well since most dogs are goin to circle that way. Not just come right to the call with wind at their back.

Take a partner, seems I always do better at calling when I'm not the only eyes.

Sit for 20 minutes minimum. Worst case scenario you hang out long enough a bobcat makes it in. Try mixing up the run vs stop time. Switch sounds in a set. Try to make it dynamic, create a scene with sound. Not saying these work better but it can and if nothing else breaks up listening to jackrabbit distress over and over so you don't shoot yourself.

Find what works for your area and don't tell anyone else. That way it keeps working until you wear it out. Then experiment to find the next thing.

• Like 2

Go to PredatorMasters.com and read. DO NOT make a new post, READ the old ones, read the stickies at the top. There are hundreds of pages with the same answers over and over.

Chances are your not setting up well. Make sure you can see down wind really well since most dogs are goin to circle that way. Not just come right to the call with wind at their back.

Take a partner, seems I always do better at calling when I'm not the only eyes.

Sit for 20 minutes minimum. Worst case scenario you hang out long enough a bobcat makes it in. Try mixing up the run vs stop time. Switch sounds in a set. Try to make it dynamic, create a scene with sound. Not saying these work better but it can and if nothing else breaks up listening to jackrabbit distress over and over so you don't shoot yourself.

Find what works for your area and don't tell anyone else. That way it keeps working until you wear it out. Then experiment to find the next thing.

Cant stress the highlighted part enough. It sounds selfish, but it is the truth. Word spreads like wildfire and then poof. There goes your success.

I have seen many show where they are using howls. I have used them and got a reply but i think i get to over the top with calling after that or dont wait long enuff

I believe it is all about the setup...

Stay out of open areas, stay off ridge lines, stay quite, know where te wind is, identify as much as possible where the critters will show up by choosing the cover you can kind of force them to use. All of these things need to be considered when your moving and when your sitting.

• Like 1

Wind, wind, wind, stay off sky lines. They will 9-10 times circle downwind so a cross wind is good. It prevents the dog from coming in behind you. Keep your truck out of sight. Don't move around too much.

• Like 1

try different sounds........ follow what rcdinaz and twigsnapper said!

your set up is way more important than the sound.

when it comes to educated coyotes they will ALWAYS come in down wind or at least circle to the down wind side.

around the houses try chicken in distress and house cat distress.

for the chicken distress take a jack rabbit closed reed and say into the call " tuck tuck tuck tacaw" make it sound like a chicken... play around with that and then add a little hurt to it... give it that "in distress" sound.

for the house cat get a digital version.....

you will find that a call over used will only trick the uneducated dogs.... so if everyone is using rabbit rabbit rabbit, you need to use something else. bird sounds seem to be the craze and work really well for me in the cedars/junipers.

volume of the call is important too. start out really soft.

when you get to your spot give it 5 minutes or so to let the area come back to life, birds will tell you when it's calm.

good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

James