Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Are they done growing?

Was out on my first scouting trip so far this year. Saw a really nice 2 point. He probably had 18" main beams and 9 inch G2s. He also had 2 inch kickers coming off from his G2s. The problem is he only had little nubs for G3s. Probably not 1 inch yet. Without G3s, he is probably a 95 inch buck but with even 1 inch G3s and 3 inches of 4th mass he is a 100 inch buck. Is he done growing or will those G3 nubs get some more length to them?

Unfortunately my wife had the camera and I didn't throw in my video camera.

Another interesting thing about this buck is that he was standing right out in the sun at 4:30 in the afternoon. Not exactly what I was expecting but right out there non the less.

Thanks for your thoughts. CB

I think he isn't done growing yet. It's not even Sept. I think most of the antler rubbing is done in October, although some in Sept. I would guess you could get 1 inch nubs on those g-3's.

Amanda

I have seen deer taken in the Oct. hunt that were still in full velvet, this time of year while they are growing antlers they feed alot and that mite splane why he was out in the sun @ 4:30...Gotta love this time of year :P

Ol Littlebear just got pics from Sept 15th that had a buck just starting to shed it looks like. The G2 on it's left antler was just poking thru the velvet. Should be soon!

Ol Littlebear just got pics from Sept 15th that had a buck just starting to shed it looks like. The G2 on it's left antler was just poking thru the velvet. Should be soon!

Sure wish Ol Littlebear will post a pic of it :P

OL Littlebear just saw that buck yesterday the 21st completely rubbed. but that was one out of numerous and a toad of a deer so I know of at least one. Hopefully should start seeing more

was out this last weekend (9/23 - 9/24). every buck we saw (25 bucks in 2 days) was still in velvet. we were in a southern unit and maybe they shed their velvet earlier in the northern units. CB

was out last weekend and still saw velvet on some bucks. Although I did see some have rubbed.

The pictures I got off of my cameras this last weekend still showed velvet on all the bucks.

Yeah I got the Nov. Hunt again. Hopefully will be camped in the same spot...did you or your family get any tags Creed?

Last Sunday I saw a buck that was shiny new on top... :) It wont be long before all of them are rubbed off :P

cramer,

yeah we all got the nov hunt also. im gonna have tomeet you this year. Imight be in that area this weekend for the bear hunt. iknow theres a few bear in that area.

creed