bigfatbeginner

Coues Hunting in Arizona. . . questions from a beginner

What area do you live and want to hunt in? Knowing this will help us with your questions and offering our help with field education.

Be careful lending that book out. I did and never got it back ha ha!

What area do you live and want to hunt in? Knowing this will help us with your questions and offering our help with field education.

I've not done my research as to which area I want to hunt in this year. I would like to balance two things. I'd like to get a tag in an area where there are lots of deer, but I also want to be realistic as to what area I put in for so that I actually have a chance of getting drawn.

I've not done my research as to which area I want to hunt in this year. I would like to balance two things. I'd like to get a tag in an area where there are lots of deer, but I also want to be realistic as to what area I put in for so that I actually have a chance of getting drawn.

Hunt the 36 units down south....lots of deer and the tags are usually left over and available over the counter due to people being worried about the illegal immigration issue down there. But it's beautiful country and you can get a tag every year and see lots of deer.

• Like 2

My .02, I love Noslers Custom Ammo with their 130gr Accubonds.

It was mentioned, but worth saying again, physical fitness is a must! Your physical state will always challenge your mental state and when you're looking for an excuse to get off the mountian you can think of a lot more when you're tired!

Wally- research is good. there are left over permits in units with lots of deer. if you have not seen some coues before the season. the first year could be hard. i saw eleven bucks by 9 am with a left over tag.

I could make educated suggestions based on where you live and how far you are willing to travel to hunt.

I live in Prescott Valley. I'm actually reading up on the 36 areas. I don't mind traveling. I want to get a tag in an area where I'm likely to see some deer. So, statewide is my limitation right now. If I get the tag I will spend some time in the area this summer, maybe coyote hunting and to do some glassing. With my job I can take off a day or two to go hike the area and do some glassing/coyote calling.

WALLY- my experience - you see more deer faster with 10X42s. you see deer with the 15x56s and a tripod you would not see. and can usually tell bucks from does. also, I B elieve you and your wife do not need to lug two average rifles up the mtn. one good rifle and one good scope with good ammo. capable of keeping shots from 317 yd to 617 yd in a 7 inch circle. make that an 8 inch circle if your as good in the field as from a bench. few rifles can do this. some rifleman say they can and can't. a 25-06, or 264 sendero, a 257 accumark with a good/great scope and either cdc or a kenton knobb. add a good range finder too. to me any coues buck is a trophy.

• Like 1

Wally if you come down this way (36s) for scouting drop me a line. I can bring some 15s out and we can do a little glassing.

The 270 is my all time favorite cartridge. As to which bullet to buy, buy them all in 130 grain and then hit the range to find which one your rifle likes best. Then learn to hit a playing card out 300 yds. and you'll do fine.