Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

Teachers allowed to carry?

Arizona might be joining a growing number of states who are allowing teachers and school administrators to carry concealed weapons on school property.

The measure does have several restrictions and does not allow unlimited carry on school campuses.

Arizona is a Constitutional Carry state, which means that anyone not legally prohibited from owning a gun may carry a gun on their person.

The requirements for someone designated to carry at a school will be much more strict.

There are also requirements for which schools will be allowed to arm employees. The school must have under 600 students, is more than 30 minutes/20 miles from nearest law enforcement facility and does not already have an armed resources officer.

Carriers will have to possess a state carry permit as well as have annual training as outlined in the bill.

Its a fairly restrictive bill, but its at least a step in the right direction.

You can view the full text of the bill here: SB1325

Sounds like a great idea. I'd say all schools should be allowed. What difference does it make if they're 20 mins away or 2. By the time a police officer got there 20 pee could have been killed. I would definitely say some extensive law enforcement type training should be required. Not our joke of a CCW class. I've been through that twice and both times there were people in the class that have no business carrying a firearm or let alone even owning one. He'll they prbably shouldn't even be allowed to carry a small pocket knife.

I agree, it shouldnt matter how close you are to any precinct to be allowed to carry with the proper training.

I would like to know how many schools in AZ fit into this 20 mile rule.

• Like 1

I can honestly say that there are many teachers out there that have no business carrying a firearm. I would feel less safe at work knowing that certain idiots were walking around schools locked and loaded! That being said, proper training for a few that could handle the situation could save lives!

Whitey

I can honestly say that there are many teachers out there that have no business carrying a firearm. I would feel less safe at work knowing that certain idiots were walking around schools locked and loaded! That being said, proper training for a few that could handle the situation could save lives!

Whitey

I agree. I have been in education at the high school level for over 19 years. At my current high school of 2000 plus kids, I can think of 4 adults total, including myself and the resource officer, who I would trust with a gun. This is a very questionable piece of legislation. I have seen trained officers make very difficult decisions in life threatening situations - to shoot or not to shoot. I do not think the average person can make these pressure ridden decisions - including myself. Even though I have been shooting handguns, rifles, shotguns and bows for over 35 years..........

I agree, it shouldnt matter how close you are to any precinct to be allowed to carry with the proper training.

I would like to know how many schools in AZ fit into this 20 mile rule.

I'm sure a very small amount of them when a person sits down and thinks about it. But, it is a start in the right direction.

I believe a person should be allowed to defend their life, regradless of what property they happen to be standing on. I do not like "No carry" zones.

• Like 1

I believe a person should be allowed to defend their life, regradless of what property they happen to be standing on. I do not like "No carry" zones.

Well said Snapshot, totally agree.

• Like 1

This change is stupid and will do next to no good. From what I heard the firearms are to be locked away in a safe zone. So in the event something goes down that teacher will have to make their way yo the locked up firearm to even think about stopping a shooter. How many shots will be fired by that time. I say armed security is the way to go.

I think they should have the right regardless of location or number of students. It aggravates me when politicians argue this with "oh if teachers are armed it'll be a shootout at the OK CORRAL" The situation would be dealt with sooner.

Totally agree with snap shot and i also believe that when the situation arises that you need to defend yourself, you will be able to know when to shoot and not to shoot if you have shot before. Fight or Flight its in our blood. I also hate no carry zones! I also hate how you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun, but you can legally open-carry one. Once you pay taxes at 18 you should be able to buy anything!

• Like 1

There is already a federal gun law saying if the "district" approves, and has the plans in place/organized, they can approve it.

I'll find it, when I have time. Just search ..... school gun laws.