Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Tree Stand Height

Any recomendations for actual height for setting up a tree stand.

The area is scrub oak with juniper and relatively thick.

Pretty good shooting lanes with one great big juniper that I want to set up my stand in.

Never have sat in a tree stand but thinkin about setting one up for early deer beins I can't draw an elk tag.......

Any thoughts......

I've always tried to set mine as high as possbile. Seems like even when I do I still have critters come in and look right at me! Maybe I STINK though!

animals are smart.... if you set a stand on a pine tree you stick out like a sore thumb, so the higher the better.

when it comes to a juniper you will be more hidden if you set it in there as far back as possible. the thick cover will help keep you undetected because they can't see as far. I'm assuming you are going to use a ladder stand?? I have a video from southwest outdoors of an elk hunt that they use that method on and they end up stickin a nice bull. it looked like they only used 10 ft of a 15ft stand.

wind will obviously be a factor, usually blows 1 way in the morning and changes as it heats up... if it ain't right don't sit it. make a couple spots for options. as for the smell... take showers regularly with your choice of scent free soap... LOL! J/K

good luck!

James

I have killed three deer from a treestand. I use a self-climber and go as high as I possibly can. If you can climb 20-25ft you will be good to go. Shooting from this high will change your point of impact, so practice first. Your shooting lanes will look good and clear from the ground, but once your up high your see lots of things you didn't notice before..

• Like 1

I never wanted to go past 20' when I hunted from a tree stand. It just makes the shot harder to get in the vitals for a double lung shot. Since going to ground blinds I find it much more safe since I have a problem of falling asleep. Once you start hunting out of ground blinds you will never go back to tree stands. jmo

I never wanted to go past 20' when I hunted from a tree stand. It just makes the shot harder to get in the vitals for a double lung shot. Since going to ground blinds I find it much more safe since I have a problem of falling asleep. Once you start hunting out of ground blinds you will never go back to tree stands. jmo

TJ

I agree with the ground blinds, they are awesome as I have been very successful with them. The main drawback is you lose a lot of visibility compared to a treestand.

I cant stand the vision restriction from a ground blind but then again I've hunted from a tree stand all my life. I try to get between 15 and 20 feet off the ground, sometimes a little higher when there isn't much cover. I have a couple of reasons for the height First off, regardless of wind draft up or down I have never been busted by smell unless I was even with the deer as he was coming down a hill directly down wind of me. I try to avoid tree stands on steep hillsides as a result. But the big reason I like them high is because when the deer looks up at you he is mostly looking at your feet and a small portion of your upper body. Deer always sense something wrong and look up at you. Just don't move and they calm down quickly and go back about their business. The draw back is a smaller shot in the Killzone and you need to practice a lot at those steep down hill shots otherwise you could over shoot him. Just my 02

Oh and whenever possible I have a camouflage umbrella (made for tree stands) that I put above me to help blend me with the tree when the deer looks up at you. Works great for shade and rain too.

GBA

I agree with you TJ, once you get to a certain age you should not do an activity that requires your butt to get higher than your head - I'm at that age.... :D

OK TJ, now you have me scared...maybe will rethink this adventure......I can picture falling asleep and I had no idea 25'....ouch.

I might be too afraid of heights to go that high as well........some of you hunters are just flat tough out there.....hats off to you for putting the time and effort in.....

The higher the better. I like to find a tree that has a big branch on it way up there for multiple reasons. First, I can put gear on or in that branches foilage. second, I position my stand so that branch acts as cover from multiple angles. Third, it acts as a hand/foot hold for coming up or down.

You dont want to be at the bottom of a slope or even mid slope.. this leads to getting winded, even with the best scent elemination products. Lastly, if you can... put up 2 stands, so you can hunt regardless of wind.

good luck and keep us posted!

2 more ideas. I put a long sleeve camo shirt around the tree where my back will be in contact with the tree to eleminate noise from the bark and make sure the harness strap is up and out of the way when you go to draw back your bow.

when you hook up your harness strap to the tree make sure you can reach the floor of the stand if you are hanging from it, that way you will be able to pull yourself up should you fall asleep and fall out. I know a couple guys that dangled for a bit until someone came and helped them.

The #1 accident and cause of death in hunting is people falling asleep in their tree stands and not being properly harnessed in. Need to use a chest harness not just a belt.