rancilio

7E September archery

I drew my first elk hunt - Unit 7E, September 13-26, antlerless archery. Now I need some guidance, advice, help, and/or whatever else might help get meat on the table.

I live way down south near Sierra Vista so weekly trips will unfortunately not happen. I do plan to make a few trips to 7E between now and September though. I am a fairly experienced bowhunter and likely fit enough to not hold anyone back.

Who else drew early 7E? Might you be willing to show me around? And show me how to hunt elk!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Stick to the west side of the unit shouldn't be too tough to find cows. I keep telling myself that I won't put in for that unit again because of lack of big bulls but i found myself putting in again. I thought for sure with 4 points I would draw it as my second choice... No such luck. I love to hunt that area very pretty up there.

Well, duty called and I was not able to use my permit. How did ya'll make out? I have not seen any 2013 7E posts.

Hunt was a tough as they come... Lots of people all concentrated in what seemed to be the same area. The rut was lack-luster and lots of "tubers" everywhere. There was a few bulls fired up, but would quit bugling early in a.m. and not start until right before dark. All in all, a good hunt once the pressure thinned out, and the animals were able to go about their business without a cow call or tube being blown "EVERY" time they bugled. 1st week, we had to go super high in elevation ,(9400 ft) or way low to escape the pressure. Lots of elk in the unit though, found them from top to bottom.

I belles a friend on a who had a cow tag for two nights ob the first weekend. were I took them we heard 75+ bugles each night...

I belles a friend on a who had a cow tag for two nights ob the first weekend. were I took them we heard 75+ bugles each night...

???

LOL prob auto-correct from a cell phone :blink:

DAN

That was kinda of the problem in my opinion. Easy to hear them all night with the full moon, but come legal light, it was like they all decided to go quiet at exactly 6:31 a.m. At any rate, cool unit with good elk numbers. Drew it on our 2nd choice, and love to learn new units. I think next time, if I put in for it again, I will have a much greater understanding of the pressure in this particular unit. Tough going into a unit where you have no prior knowledge of the pressure, or where the elk go when the pressure hits. Unlike my primary unit, I can escape people very easy, and over the years have been able to figure out where the elk like to go when they are pressured. As long as I am Archery Bull hunting, I am always going to be a happy man!!!

I'm thinking about putting this hunt down for a second choice next year. I'm just getting tired of reading the words not drawn. I wanna hunt!

Stupid auto correct. supposed to say "helped" and "on".

We didnt see another hunter those two nights. We were 2.5 miles away from roads so i guess everyone else stayed away.