Cypert2

Help with AZ Coues hunt.

Always wanted to do a DIY Coues hunt. Am going to try an AZ otc hunt this winter. All I know about Coues deer is what I've read. Never seen a Coues or set foot in AZ as far as that goes. Have been doing some research and was thinking about maybe zone 29 or zone 30a, but could easily be persuaded to try somewhere else. Anyway, if any of you guys have any advice it would be appreciated.

Your best bet is the Arizona Game and Fish web site. Unit info is there and is a good start.

Where do you live, and how do you hunt? Are you going to hunt with a rifle or bow?

I have spent a lot of time on the AZ Game and Fish website. It is very helpful. I am going to bowhunt. I live in eastern Arkansas and all my deer hunting has been either from tree stands or ground blinds. Realize I will have to modify my tactics for AZ.

I have not hunted 29 but I am planning on it and it looks to be a good bet. I plan on backpacking to get away for pressure. Good luck. I am a spot and stalk style guy myself and with couse I have come close sitting on deer trails too.

Most of my Coues hunting has beed in the south and spot-n-stalk. This year I might sit in a blind if the cams I put out produce some good pics.

I would say the southern units are a good bet. All of them have deer. My advice would be get some good glass and find some deer. And depending on the time you have the deer at that time should be getting ready for the rut and should be starting to mark there territory so look for signs of that and maybe u could pop up a blind or two in some active areas

Just to let you know there is a lot of private land in those two units. Good deer though. Look on a map and find some back country that is not private.

Don't plan to hunt 29 during the last half of January...which is when they really rut in that unit. The season is only open the first half of January in 29 this year according to the new regs. Anybody know why?

also don't forget your pistol.......

James

Unit 29 is closed to archery hunting in December again this year. I was told it was due to a high harvest ratio during the Aug/Sep hunt of last year. I'm not happy about this as I love hunting unit 29 in December which has been the best rut in the past. 30A, 34A and 35 A&B are all good units as well during this time of year.

Unit 29 is closed to archery hunting in December again this year. I was told it was due to a high harvest ratio during the Aug/Sep hunt of last year. I'm not happy about this as I love hunting unit 29 in December which has been the best rut in the past. 30A, 34A and 35 A&B are all good units as well during this time of year.

This will be the second year 34A will be closed during the Dec. hunt.

Unit 29 is closed the second half of January because they feel the harvest in the unit is too high during the archery season. I attended a meeting with Commissioner Harris and hefelfinger, I advised them that the department closed the archery season during December of 2012 this is part of their 20% rule. I advised them that they had no data to support the closure of the second half of January because there harvest data was a year behind. I asked that they wait a year to see if the checks and balances system they had put in place had worked ,they both agreed and I thought it was a done deal that they would in fact wait a year to review harvest data, but in fact they did the exact opposite. It just goes to show they will close or remove or make changes without even following their own guidelines..

Unit 29 is closed the second half of January because they feel the harvest in the unit is too high during the archery season. I attended a meeting with Commissioner Harris and hefelfinger, I advised them that the department closed the archery season during December of 2012 this is part of their 20% rule. I advised them that they had no data to support the closure of the second half of January because there harvest data was a year behind. I asked that they wait a year to see if the checks and balances system they had put in place had worked ,they both agreed and I thought it was a done deal that they would in fact wait a year to review harvest data, but in fact they did the exact opposite. It just go that's the same song and dance to give about 34a been closed during Decemberes to show they will close or remove or make changes without even following their own guidelines..

that's the same song and dance to give about 34A's December Archery hunt. At the same time they added 25 mule deer tags for rifle.

Well i'm tired of fighting them on my own, It's sad that our OWN ARIZONA BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION DOESN'T GET INVOLVED. I'M thinking because it doesn't effect the places they hunt.

Just like when the ARIZONA BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION supported the Baiting ban, what a joke. heck Randy of Archery headquarters was buying feed from me so he could help Fred Eikler harvest a buck, then he decides to support the ban. ISN'T THAT TWO FACED!!!!! I will not buy a single item from that place ever!!!! I would suggest you do the same if you feel as strongly as I do on this matter.