muledeerarea33?

OTC elk tag

Work was slow today so I had a chance to do alot of research on the OTC elk tags. With 16 points this year I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm looking at area 28, I know where I've seen elk in 28 and also in 32 but........ Neither places are in an area I would want to pack out the meat, haha I would but bein fat and all it may just kill me. Has anyone else hunted that tag with success? If so, how hard was the hunt and how far was your pack out? I'm not looking for specific areas (unless you want to tell me?) just details on difficulties of you hike in and out. Like I said, I know where I've seen them, wondering if you've seen them in an easy area.

I used to see them a lot in the verde valley OTC area but that was 10 years ago. Not sure if they still make it down there with the otc hunts in effect. I sometimes would see an entire herd in there. Saw some good bulls before as well.

timberland outfitters out of flag have done very good on the flatland bulls east of winslow along the lcr.

i hunted that for friends with the tags for 3 years and never saw an elk in the daylight but many at night driving in. back in the tamaracs its like hunting rabbits in fog-hear them but never see them.

have heard that the boys in winslow have a ball every september in the rincon basin archery only unit- chasin' raghorns that bugle all night long.

i'm gonna get hate mail from winslow now-oh well.....

lee

I've heard success stories from verde valley and the Winslow area but want to stay with the 28 hunt, the Winslow or verde valley hunt hunt would be a back up but it alot farther from home and I've never really been in that area before

I can tell you its gonna be extremely tough. If you are going to do this I really hope you will have some help available for packing if you get one down. The country is very rough and they are usually in some big nasty canyons. There are several people that hunt them in there, very gruelling hunt...BUT, at least you are hunting! Use it as great motivation to finally start that excercise program you have been wanting to do :)

Hahaha, I told myself if I draw a tag this year I have an excuse to drop some pounds. This hunt may be my excuse after all! I know what you mean by tough, the three places I've seen them have been in deep nasty canyons in three completely different places in the area. I guess I was just hopin someone saw them on some good easy flat ground lol. I'll have some help close by if I need it. For a fat guy I've hiked some nasty areas, it's just Alittle harder to do :-)

I'm not sure that you can hunt the gila river corridor in the tamaracks at all during the OTC hunt per regulations. You need to check that out and see if you can. Its not an easy hunt by any means and you're gonna have a real difficult time killing an elk..... but it can be done.. wink wink

The rewards can be awesome if you do the homework the elk typically are not year round residents in these areas but there is one thing that keeps these elk around and that is a good food source find the food source and how they get from food to water to bed. This bull came out of the LCR

post-2323-0-77498500-1366086822_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I have actually had the opportunity to hunt the winslow area and although tough to fill I managed to fill my tag with a spike. It was my first elk that I have ever killed and it was in late september during the start of the rut for that area. It is a very tough hunt and I hunted every chance I got in that area as I lived in winslow. The only thing I can say is you really have to do your homework because they are constantly moving bedding areas. Also being in the tamaracks is very difficult to see five feet in front of you in some places. I hope this is helpful and I plan on buying another tag because I didnt get drawn this year.