az4life

Hey Buddy, can you spare some change?

AZ4life,

Sorry to hear you have to pull up stakes, but it sure sounds like you will have a great adventure in WY. Like Scottyboy said, there is some great wildlife and hunting up there!

And don't forget, the nice thing about the internet is the forum can go with you anywhere! So you can still visit us and post your WY adventures!

Amanda

So you lied to us when you said AZ4life ! Good luck my friend and best wishes.

az4life, good luck with everything and make sure to send us some pics of those big carp in WY!

Man, you guys are bumming me out with some of these responses. I'm a AZ native, currently displaced in Kalifornia, having left at 18 to go into the Army. Now I'm stuck here taking care of an elderly parent, and will not leave at this time. Hoping and praying to get back in the next 3 years maximum. What am I coming back to?

No place I'd rather live, I'm AZ through and through, but the Kalifornia exodus into AZ is REALLY scaring me about what's going to happen to this great state. What will it be like 10 years from now? As much as I generally dislike much of the population here, I really HATE them moving to "my state".

For now I'll have to settle for trips back every 6 weeks or so, oh, and my son's bull elk hunt in 7W in November! :D That and being there about twice a month scouting over the next 3 months....

Last time on the internet in AZ for me. We are loaded up and hitting the road in the morning.

Let everyone know at least there will be one CWT decaled truck in Wyoming after Tuesday.

Just wanted to say thanks again to all you CWT regulars for all your posts and support over the years.

I do have one more favor to ask... some good thoughts and prayers as we make our way to our new hometown near Cheyenne. Travel can be difficult when everything you own is stuffed in a moving truck so any help I can get would be appreciated. (by the way, I have realized I have way too much junk to even think about moving again! :blink:

I will check in as time allows over the next few months as I build a home.

Again Good Luck and God Bless, You and your family have a safe trip.

My friends and family thought I was crazy when I left a great position in advertising and public relations to become a full-time outdoor writer earning about 1/3 of what I'd been making the first year out of college.

My new occupation took me around the world several times, however, and gave me more opportunities to hunt and fish more creatures and more places than I could ever have imagined when I started out. Financial security eventually came, too.

So, as I've always told my grandchildren, follow your dreams and never look back, az4life.

Good luck in all you do. Wyoming is a great place to be (except in January and February, IMO).

Bill Quimby

Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now so, I thought I would update you on my progress in my "change" of moving to Wyoming.

Staying in touch with the happenings on the forum has been tough, but do-able, since house building has kept me busy. As a lifelong AZ resident and long time member of the CWT forum, there are some things I miss after my move but I am looking forward to what will come after my house is "finished".

Progress has been good and we are hoping to be able to move in to our new home in a few weeks. I have nearly finished the drywall work with texturing and painting left to do I plan to begin the cabinets and tile flooring next week after interior painting. It gets cold here, but I believe we have built a very well insulated home and the proof is in the last few weeks. We have been able to keep the 1950 SF 3br 2.5bath interior at high 50's to 60's degrees with only 3 small portable heaters (total 3700 watts) Even with outdoor temps in the single digits some nights and usually in the 20's!

To start the project, I worked with a 70yr old concrete contractor (just the 2 of us) for about a month to get the dirt work, plumbing and slab in place trading my labor for reduced price, and I have had 2 other main workers helping me since we began building by putting up the walls on Nov 15th. To help control the labor costs, I have been deeply involved and participated in every stage of the work. I gained a lot of respect for roofers, Sheetrock hangers, mudders, concrete workers, plumbers, electricians, framers, General contractors, (and probably a few others I left out) by doing every job myself! We designed everything major about the house ourselves and it has been a from the layout on paper and drawing up the CAD plans to choosing and buying the materials used, we have done it all, and it feels pretty good ! Being Totally finished is gonna be a ways off but move in ready was my goal. All in all, This has been a challenging and rewarding project and I would certainly do it all over again if I had the chance.

This year I hope to spend a lot of time scouting for game as I should have resident status by the time hunting season rolls around. I can find deer and antelope within a mile of my home and elk within an hour so this should be a fun year! :D Maybe even a moose tag next year about 4 hours away!

I feel like I'm in the home stretch now and am looking forward to the next phase of changes. A New Job? Yup, that is coming too! Who knows what it will be but whatever it is, I am up for the challenge!

I have attached a picture of the house front from a few weeks ago for reference.

Thanks to those of you who helped me with advice and encouragement for my questions .

post-11-1168056147_thumb.jpg

As a fellow AZ native I have to say (from looking at that picture anyway) - you are crazy man!!!

I'll take 100 degrees over 32 degrees any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Good luck to you but I am sorry, that is just plain nuts. CB

I wish you the best and completely understand you about AZ changing. I have already moved from southern to northern AZ but I fear as time goes by it will not be far enough. :(

I'm a sixth generation Arizonan. I'm thinking of moving on also. Snowbirds and illegals have ruined all the things that used to make our state a great place to be. Giladad

amen............................................................................