Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Anyone doing the over the counter archery turkey

Headed up to 23 right now. Hopefully they will still be talking like they were two weeks ago.

I was going to try 23 for a day or so starting Tuesday - and maybe sneak some fishing in - but it seems like there's gonna be too much traffic in there just from the posters on CW! :o

went up to 23 this past wednesday cruzed the 200 rd all the way from young to the 260 calling the whole way and took some different roads off the main rd and didnt hear or see anything. did see one set of tracks but that is it. hopefully you guys are doing better than i am. i called about every 200 yards thinking i would get lucky but it didnt pan out. makes me want to make the long drive to unit one or 27 because i know i will at least get into birds there. i have never hunted 23 so it was def a new experience but some beautiful country and i am going to have to put some time into that unit to located and have a better idea of some bird locations.

I will be heading up to unit 23 next thurs nite. Was there last weekend and the birds were gobbling pretty good in the mornings. Hopefully they will still be talking. I think 23 is a great choice, not too far from the valley and lots of turkeys. Couesdeerhuntr if you are going up alone and want to meet up you can pm me. Good luck everyone. Kirk

• Like 1

No turkey last weekend. They were pretty quite after they came off their roosts. Had one roosted sat am but he flew off too far the other way and never got a shot. He only gobbled once after he hit the ground.

Called in a hen and jake at 9am sun with a tom trailing them, but he hung up 100yds out nd wouldn't come in. He gobbled at my slate calls for 15 min but wouldn't get closer.

Also had a coyote sneak in 2 yds behind me while i was calling sun. I heard a slight noise and turned around and was face to face with him. His eyes got big as saucers and he took of at warp speed out of there.

Watch for snakes when you guys are out there saw 3 rattles. Any one else having luck?

Good luck everyone. Hopefully I can get off work this weekend and head back up.

Back from a long hike with no turkey. Oh well it was nice and I found some new elk country for me in the future

So i spent six days hunting with my otc turkey tag and had lots of action but just could not seal the deal. Had a great time and lots gobbling to my calls but it didnt happen. Had two gobblers at less then 20 yards but it just didnt happen. One i couldnt take a shot due to to much cover and the second one i shot at and had a good chance but what i learned is that a rage two blade will not go thru tall grass. Then i called in a group of three jakes and i shot the longest bearded tom and i hit him what i thought was good and he stumbled and tried really hard to keep up with the other two jakes. He could not walk at all and was trying to keep up with the jakes but was having a hard time and i thought he was done. I watched him go over a hill side and then saw one jake pitch down the hill and i thought i taged out for the year with my third turkey of the year. Two from new mexico and my one from az. But i guess i was wrong. I had good blood for the turkey but could not find him. I guess he had took off with the other two jakes and i spent the next two days looking for him. I tracked the blood to where he must of took flight because i could track the blood tell he took flight, and then no blood. But i had a great experience and i def look forward to next year. But in the mean time i am getting ready for archery deer. When i am not on my i phone i will post a pic of my arrow because that is the only thing i got to show for my effort. Man i love spring turkey and after this year i am sure i will never hunt turkey without a bow. makes it so much More if a challenge. I love it!

I gave it a try again, admittedly I am the worst turkey hunter in the world. I did see a few birds and had a few gobbling, but I am not very good at turkey hunting and blew it. The only turkeys I have taken were in self defense not including my first one, which was a two pound poult I shot at sixty five yards running with my bow in the neck. Here are a couple of pics.

On my way in to my hunting spot

post-4480-0-86272900-1370397811_thumb.jpg

The only bird I called into range

post-4480-0-44284000-1370398112_thumb.jpg

My hunting buddy

post-4480-0-83325700-1370398321_thumb.jpg

Typical, on my way back to the truck

post-4480-0-72727900-1370398483_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-62898000-1370398618_thumb.jpg

I got mad and did some high country catfishing.

post-4480-0-38754200-1370398768_thumb.jpg

• Like 1