cvitech2

Newbie for coues needing a little help

It would appear that I am an idiot, I never ealized that the mule deer and whitetail hunts did not coincide. That essentially means that we have to go either mule or coues - that simplifies things I guess. I notice there are several any antlered deer hunts in some of the western desert units, would I be correct in assuming that the odds of seeing any deer in those units is pretty slim?

The any antlered deer hunts are mainly mule deer hunting units that sometimes have pockets of Whitetail... It has nothing to do with deer density.

At this point I think the species is less important than all of us camping together. We will probably look to hunt Couse Deer, and apply for the same dates only. I think its more important to have fun then to kill animals. As long as we all get to do it togeher.

If you are set on hunting southern Arizona, I would abandon the mule deer hunting and stick to Coues. If they are set on hunting mule deer, I would suggest looking at a different unit or different state.

+1.

Since you have 6 people, the only way to guarantee that everybody hunts together ( 4hunters max per application) is to pick a unit with 100% draw rate and only put in for that hunt. This usually limits you to early whitetail hunts.

The other thing you need to consider is that a lot of the southern units have access issues, which can very well be the reason for the leftover permits. I did a quick search on the AZGFD website and it mentions that 30A & 30B have a lot of access issues, and in unit 32 that several ranchers have locked up some of the gates blocking off parts of the wilderness.

Any suggestions as to units that have decent draw rates and less access issues? Like my brother said, this hunt is as much about getting the old men in the woods and spending some time together, as it is about filling tags - not that we don't like filling tags too! We've had the good fortune to be able to hunt a lot of this country, but this is our first southwest hunting trip. You guys have already been a huge help.

I would say 30 B I live in that unit and don't see that much bing locked off as there is in 32 or 30A. If you get a tag for 30B pm me and I will help you out as much as I can. I put in for one of them so maybe I will be there at the same time.

if you look at the regulations

a lot of coues and muledeer alternate - example mule 29 - nov-1-7 nov15-21 ---- whitetail -oct 25- 31 nov 8-nov14

if possible the other guys could come early or you stay late and have overlapping hunts.

so one group is hunting and possibly scouting for the other at the same time!

A lot of units do have BOTH good numbers of muleys and whitetails

We think that 36B will be the likely beach head of the hillbilly invasion. It looks like we are pretty well assured of drawing the October hunt based on the last 5 years application results. I may even try to bolt out there this summer from east Tx to do some scouting if I get a slow week at work.

Plenty of deer down there. Shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

I would pick a hunt with 29% or More hunt success and one with 96% or More draw rate. spending time camping out in prime az coues country is hard to beat. if you click on " hunt az " on the azgfd wb site it has last five years of stats. also in the regs they have the previous years stats. ron

Where are the southern unit illegal/drug runner warnings?

All units in Arizona south of I10 have a chance of meeting up with illegals (unarmed, looking for work) and cartel (armed and carrying drugs) type folk. Just wanted to remind y'all since you aren't local.