Santana Outdoors

Seeking Predator Calling Tips

I have hunted predators here in Arizona for a number of years but I always like to talk with other people about what they do for success, and new techniques.  For my first few years I had a wooden Carlton call that seemed to work out OK, I had success with it but not as much as I wanted too.  After a few years I stepped it up to a Fox Pro wireless system, and havent had one ounce of  luck with it.  I estimate I had 30 to 40 stands with it, and never produced any luck.  I was finding that they were coming in and stopping about 150 yds out when I would check the perimiter after a stand.  Now I read and see success stories all the time of people having great luck with Fox Pr0 calls, perhaps there is something I am doing wrong with my techniques.  I have only used a battery operated decoy a handful of times and it did not make much difference  at all.  Since then I have returned back to using mouth calls.  I do use dead down wind, and I do keep remote calls  20 to 30 yds away from me.  I dont usually call for longer than 5 to 6 minutes at a time before I head out to make another stand.   Any information or assistance would be great.  I am looking for helpful tips on both mouth calls and tips on using remote calls to increase my success.  I would love to hear what products you use and what you have done to increase your success.  Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rhett Connolly

Santana Outdoors

View the full article

i go 20 minutes normal on coyote stands seems to work great. 30 if there is hunting pressure. my dad called in a bobcat at 40 minutes but that stand was specific for a bobcat and it took that long to come in(taken at 30 yards) I have had great success with hand and my fox pro do more stands and more time in stand. hope this helps

There's The Issue.... 5-6 Minutes. Try 15-20 And See If That Helps.

+1

stay at least 15-20 min... the later into the calling season I stay even longer. by February / march I stay up to 45 minutes.

make sure you aren't sky lining while going to your stand.

dead down wind may help for a young coyote but not much will help with an educated dawg.

try to have the wind at least cross wind. if possible sun at your back, but I pick wind over sun any day.

try not to call across big open spaces... while it may work sometimes ,a lot of them don't feel comfortable with out a little cover.

start with the volume real low for at least fir couple minutes... they have superior hearing as you know.

as far as sounds, I have great luck with bird sounds in the cedars and pine... especially woodpecker distress.

sometimes after calling for 10 minutes or so if nothing is happening I may switch sounds to pup distress and just let that go for 5-10 minutes.

It doesn't matter if pups are dropping or are grown it just doesn't matter the females can't stand it.

As far as how long to play a sound, everyone has different techniques. I do both... sometimes I let it play the entire stand sometimes I stop the caller every 2-3 minutes and have a couple minutes of silence.

to me the set up makes the whole thing happen. so pick your stands wisely. areas that get a lot of traffic are hard to call but may be great during the week when no one is around. Remember where you see em when you are driving around and then come up with a plan and come back and smash em!

good luck!

James

Hey guys, thank you for all the pointers, I really appreciate the help and the tips. This is exactly why I put this out for some help. I learned some things from a guy years and years ago and never really bothered to change up techniques. He was great with a call, he could have dawgs coming in within a matter of minutes, and after 8 to 10 minutes max he would move on. I always assumed that was the thing to do. I recall even reading the same information years ago, but now Im chomping at the bit to get out and try some of these tips you all offered. Gonna be a long haul til we get that cold snap....thanks again everyone.

Rhett Connolly

Santana Outdoors

Most of the critters I call in show up between 3 to 8 min.I only stay on stand 10 to 12 min.Its a numbers game.The more stands you make in a day the better your odds.I try to make 20 to 25 stands in a day and I average one critter in every five stands.If your useing an E-caller try less volume.Most callers play their machine way to loud.

• Like 1

post-6031-0-02033500-1371661582_thumb.jpgpost-6031-0-98115800-1371661664_thumb.jpgpost-6031-0-74080900-1371661781_thumb.jpghere's a few pics from past seasons useing our 10 to 12 min rule

There's The Issue.... 5-6 Minutes. Try 15-20 And See If That Helps.

+1

stay at least 15-20 min... the later into the calling season I stay even longer. by February / march I stay up to 45 minutes.

make sure you aren't sky lining while going to your stand.

dead down wind may help for a young coyote but not much will help with an educated dawg.

try to have the wind at least cross wind. if possible sun at your back, but I pick wind over sun any day.

try not to call across big open spaces... while it may work sometimes ,a lot of them don't feel comfortable with out a little cover.

start with the volume real low for at least fir couple minutes... they have superior hearing as you know.

as far as sounds, I have great luck with bird sounds in the cedars and pine... especially woodpecker distress.

sometimes after calling for 10 minutes or so if nothing is happening I may switch sounds to pup distress and just let that go for 5-10 minutes.

It doesn't matter if pups are dropping or are grown it just doesn't matter the females can't stand it.

As far as how long to play a sound, everyone has different techniques. I do both... sometimes I let it play the entire stand sometimes I stop the caller every 2-3 minutes and have a couple minutes of silence.

to me the set up makes the whole thing happen. so pick your stands wisely. areas that get a lot of traffic are hard to call but may be great during the week when no one is around. Remember where you see em when you are driving around and then come up with a plan and come back and smash em!

good luck!

James

JLW you are right on the money!! with all the new ele, calls out there now and people just driving out an setting up a ele, call!! make those "yoter dogs" very smart and.. call wise!....if the call location looks good not fare off the road chances are that place has been called on before!!!...ALOT! so when the area dogs hear sounds from that spot they high tail it the heck out of there unless its a pup!! they get smart quick as well!....sometime you can do everything right and still have nothing come in!...just move on to another location areas with stock ponds! washes hold dogs below the tanks!..like JLW told you skyline wind an shutting your car door are not your freinds!.....here is a thing i like to do i have a Flextone ele, caller that i can put 200 yards away from me, i set in a bush with the wind right in my face if i can! have my tripod and bionos set up ready! after i call for 5 mins, an see nothing coming in i start glassing like i would do for deer on top of ridges!..you would not belive what you will see! it will amaze you how much you miss when you just use your eye's....an they are not moving!!...try it!! B) ....you will like it! ;) ...good luck and happy hunting!

• Like 1

Very nice TwoWindy!

Rhett great thread!

I agree and I could use some tips as well. When trying to find a stand, a few things I look for is scat on the ground or dead coyotes on the road. I figure if there's lots of scat it must be a good area to call. Coyotes dead on the road tells me there must be a few more out there. Generally I do ok when looking for these type of signs. As far as calling times I call for 12-20 minutes per each stand.

attachicon.gif010.JPGattachicon.gif017.JPGattachicon.gif013.JPGhere's a few pics from past seasons useing our 10 to 12 min rule

nice job!

that's some good supplemental income right there Jack!

do you use the buddy system or call alone?

I only get to call on occasion due to my bow hunting deer addiction... thinking about calling a lot lately though!

about as exciting as a stalking a nice big buck IMO, just don't eat as good! LOL!

James

I call aloan about half of the time.My son and I go together alot.Sometimes I will drop him off and I will drive a mile down the rode just to make more stands.I agree with SMITTY that it is alot tougher now with all the e-callers out there.I don't call the open country that much any more.I prefer calling thicker cover where I can only see 30 or 40 yards.You kill more fox and cats in thick cover.As you can see I save the fur and there is more money in fox and cats than coyotes these days.

Approximately how far apart does everyone make your stands? Do you drive between or mostly walk between? Hunted yotes a few time thus far unsuccessful with a hand call and E-Caller…

I try to go a mile.In thick cover I don't call very loud so I can even shorten it to a half mile.I drive between stands and walk till I cant see my truck.Try to hide your truck in a low spot or in some cover.