Sign in to follow this  
kidso

Strange Hatchet Man by Water Hole

...sorry, it's just me. I posted this because this tank, which is roughly 30feet x 20feet x 1foot is now bone dry. All that water gone in just 6 weeks. We sure need some rain. I only had cow elk and free-range horses on this camera, not a single bear. In fact, I had absolutely no bears on my other trail cam either. However, there was a dead elk calf in the middle of that water hole. Don't know how it died, no wounds or anything on its body. I pulled it out on the bank and left it there to see if I can match AZLance with a golden eagle ripping into the carcass.

Called all day for bears Monday, but no luck. Just brought in a coyote on one stand and a fox on another, and at least a dozen blanks in between. This morning, I called a coyote on stand one and stand two. Then while driving to stand three a beautiful blonde bear raced across the road twenty yards in front of me! I slammed on my brakes, doing all but 20 mph on the gravel trail and skidded to a stop. I grabbed my bow and slipped into the trees and sat there for about 30 seconds before a coyote started barking its head off, clearly to complain about the bear cutting through his territory. I waited about 15 minutes than started calling. The coyote came to 40 yards within 2 minutes, but no blonde bear. I crept around the area and called off and on for two hours while glassing through the tree trunks, but never saw the bear again.

I'll try for spring bear once more in a week or two after I finish drying my eyes. The goal of my hunting life is not a 360 bull elk, 180 bighorn sheep, or a 100 coues, but a blonde color phase black bear.

post-4429-0-17536400-1371604214_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Good luck getting blonde bear! At lease now you know where one is!

Ok, what's with the hatchet?

I used a couple of lag bolts to secure the lock box to a wooden support. I forgot to pack a hammer on this trip, but always keep a hatchet under my front seat. I've kept a hatchet there ever since watching the movie Uncle Buck. So I used the hatchet to help get the bolts started.

As for the blonde bear, it likely went into a massive canyon that is several miles long containing dozens of finger canyons. Sadly, I will probably never see that bear again. However, it burned a beautiful image into my memory.

• Like 1

Good luck on finding that bear!!

i take it this story was earlier this year because spring bear season is closed. cool story and goodluck and stay on him hill be around.or get with the az ground ponders thell help you get him

The general season is closed, but the Spring Archery hunt is still open in some units. Keith did get his blonde bear last week. His story is poster in the Bear forum. Great job Keith!