Sign in to follow this  
Archaic

Some 36B basic questions

I'm shooting through a box of 150 grain 30-06 Hornadys every 2 weeks.

Steve, you don't have to outrun the mountain lion, you just have to outrun dad.

LOL on the 'out running...' comment! Seriously though, if you're doing some serious glassing during your hunt there is a small chance that you will see a lion. Might want to be prepared with an OTC tag in your pocket! ;)

S.

I dont think there will be any problem out running dad, he's kinda getting chunky. I think your wife could take him in a 40 giving him a spot. Probably his ice cream retirment plan.

I think 400 is pretty duable, if its not windy. I have herd bad things about NM and AZ wind in the past few months. I am sad to say I might retire the 06' mountain rifle for this hunt anyway. Got a new 7mm WSM that needs a little love.

Another thing that has not been mentioned yet for this unit. A 400+ yard shot is average in this unit so practice your long range shooting.

That is an average. rifle practice is good . besides Optics ; the, Rifle must be able to shoot a really good group at 500 yards. 5" - 5 shots. my buddy has a rifle with 40 notches. sendero 7stw and 6.5-20. 120 sierra fb. wind is no problem, weather is usually dry and warm. have a big ice chest with ice for the quarters. steve hoperfullyu aqrch is also passing on what i pm'd him. i will be down there hopefully , if my grandson or i get tags.

No, not optional if you want to be successful, not lucky.

If you are planning on spike camping then your biggest concern will be having enough drinking water. It will be hot and when hiking around you will go through water fast. Don't count on having a natural water source that you can get water from. In the past when spike camping I have hauled water in during scouting trips. We're a lot more likely to hear about you on the news because of dehydration than a mountain lion attack.

Our strategy is that each of us guys with grey hair had to recruit a young spry marathon runner type to carry extra water. I found mine (he's supposed to be logging in here soon).

But yeah, water was our first conversation when we started planning. Figuring on two trips in-out, one to haul the spike camp and one to haul water. We aren't planning on going too far in, we just want to be beyond the radius of the casual road hunters. That seems to pay off pretty well on public land.

Antelope Jackrabbits are easy hunting with a .22 pistol and good eating IMHO - a thousand times easier to hunt than coues, and dress out about the same size!. The AZG&F regs have a year-round Cottontail season but don't mention Jackrabbits, but there are plenty of articles written by AZG&F officers about it so I assume it's legal. One article claims there is no bag limit for Jackrabbits.

• Like 1

Excellent, that will give the old man something to do. I've looked at the weather data for the area, it looks like pretty comfortable warm days and cool (40ish) nights. Is that pretty typical for late Oct.?

Excellent, that will give the old man something to do. I've looked at the weather data for the area, it looks like pretty comfortable warm days and cool (40ish) nights. Is that pretty typical for late Oct.?

Maybe 40s at night, more likely 50s though. Days will likely be pretty confortable, especially in the mornings. If the Summer weather holds though, you could easily have HOT days (95+). Sunscreen and shade will be your friend while glassing during the day! ;)

S.

:)

It's been quite a few years since the early hunt has been "comfortable" while the sun is up. I would count on temps being well into the 90s. Two years ago my hunting buddy was setting up on a buck mid afternoon and when we got his wind meter out it said the temp was 103. That was in the sun and I know official temps are taken in the shade but when the only shade is a scraggly mesquite tree, temps in the shade don't mean much.

You'll need to be at your morning glassing point well before sun up and prepared to have a very short window of activity in the morning. When it is hot, coues will head to their beds shortly after the sun hits the ground. Your mid-day should be spent picking apart the shady hillsides, if you can stand the heat yourself.

be carefull. illegals will be traveling at night , and will come right thru your camp. and lots of border potrol. but all and all it is a great hunt. try hunting bgy frugotta pick and yellow jacket. weve miossed some monsters around those mountains. turn in at sasabe. goodluck

Years ago a buddy and me had an early hunt north of Tucson. Mid to high nineties by noon. We hunted hard and covered lots of ground on foot. In February of the next year my buddy was at home in his recliner one evening and hit the floor stone cold dead from a massive heart attack. Autopsy showed that he only had forty percent of his heart that was healthy. He worked for Pima mine back then and had a yearly physical. So much for that. Tragic part was Kenneth was only 46 years old. Left his wife and 2 daughters. My point in this is that if you hunt in that kind of weather, you might want to remember that you ain't ten feet tall and bullet proof....pace yourself and do lots of water. Oh, and don't rely on company provided physicals!

lion season is open in October iv never hunted any of the 36s and don't really plan to but it Arizona so if its anything like sonoita than theres lots of lions