Sign in to follow this  
ScottAdams

NM unit 34 Bull

Can't wait till my boy is of age to do the shooting! Great pics Scott!

sweet first bull man!...good luck on the archery hunt....im gonna try for my first one in november...

congrats again!

Nice Bull!! Now get back to work Scotty! The Mine's falling apart!! Tell your son congratulatins!! Awsome Bull!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to post the unit 1 AZ bull photos. Thanks for all the posts and compliments. Bret that was me you saw up by Mexican Hay lake. Of course we're back from the AZ elk hunt. Austin had yet another successful hunt. This was an archery hunt in unit 1 in AZ. We were hunting at about 9,000 ft. And had some beautiful weather. Our mornings were were a cool 29 degrees warming up into the 60's during the day. We were camped at a big meadow and had bulls bugling all night long around camp. Austin passed on several bulls before deciding he just had to take this one.

On our 3rd full day of the hunt we found ourselves sitting on the edge of a meadow, just inside the treeline, waiting for sundown. At around 5:00 PM the bulls started bugling in the distance and working toward the meadow and us. Just before 6:00 PM the bull stepped out into the meadow to our left. Austin had only seconds to decide whether or not to take this bull. He quickly decided he wanted him and when we finally got the bull to stop he was 78 yards out.

Austin has been practicing out to 70 yards and beyond and had a 70 yard pin on his bow. He held over the bull and release an arrow. The arrow whizzed harmlessly over the bulls back but didn't really spook the bull. However the bull did move farther out into the meadow. Austin drew back his bow yet again and I ranged the bull at 86 yards. Austin held about a foot and a half over the bull's back with his 70 yard pin and released. I watched in awe as the arrow flew nearly silently in a slight arc across the meadow and heard the thud as the arrow stuck home. The arrow passed completely through the bull taking out both lungs. The bull ran in a huge circle around the meadow and then entered the treeline on our left where we heard him crash. Austin was relatively calm until he heard the bull crash inside the trees. He then began shaking and had just about the biggest grin I've ever seen on him. What an unbelievable hunt!!

We saw so many bulls I didn't count them all. In 3 days we probably saw 75 bulls. We saw very few small bulls with most of the elk being 6x6's. Austin had some very close calls including one 6x6 at 19 yards! He actually drew on that bull, just for practice, never intending to shoot him. It's just unbelievable! My cousin Duwane likens it to hunting Yellowstone except it's legal! I can't express how exciting and almost magical it is to hunt these big bulls in the rut up in the high country. It is something that every hunter should experience at least once. By the way, we were only 60 miles, as the crow flies, from the house.

Scott

L1010612crp.jpg

L1010610crp.jpg

We are now in the middle of Austin's unit 27 junior deer hunt. We are hoping to hit it hard later this week. We did go out on Saturday but only saw small bucks. Talk to all of you later.

As always.....phenomenal hunt, stories and pictures. This must be an absolutely amazing year for your son! 3 tags if I read correctly. WOW!!!!!

The last time my dad, brother and I all got drawn was 14 years ago in Unit 3B. Stupid me was too picky and was the only one not to get one. Now I regret it.

What camera are you guys using? Whatever it is if it's the same one you take all your pics with (Here's where we were, heres where deer is 10 mile away).....its a good cam!

Coues7, I'm using the Leica Digilux 2. You are correct, he drew 2 bull elk tags and 1 deer tag. What luck uh?

Congrats on another successful hunt. What a year already for Austin and I am sure for you too. Thanks for posting the pictures and story.