Sign in to follow this  
rkv09

Amendments to R12-4-303

I was reading this posting from the Game and Fish website and I am confused on this new baiting law. It says we can't bait with edible or ingestible substance but then says salt or salt based material isn't bait. So can you lay out a salt to bring game in and then hunt off of the lick as long as it is just salt?

Here is the link to the website. http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/Amended-Article-3-rules-affecting-hunters-take-effect-July-1.shtml

R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition
4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:
a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or
b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.
5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.
6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:
a. Water.
b. Salt.
c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.
d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

"Mineral Blocks" manufactured for livestock fall under Section C as it was explained to me as it is a salt based product.

The way I read it, It is legal to hunt off a salt block or mineral block as long as it is manufactured for livestock. Or if you find grain stocks that a rancher has set out for cattle or livestock that contains supplements such as grain (common with cow calf operations), it would be legal to hunt on that particular spot.

Salt or salt-based mineral blocks are NOT considered "edible or ingestible substances," thus clearly allowed and noted under #6, B&C.

An "edible or ingestible substance" is basically FOOD -- something a critter can eat by chewing, swallowing and digesting. Grain, corn, etc. would come under that heading.

• Like 1

The issue is in the wording where it says intent. Meaning to me if a hunter brings in something salt or mineral for hunting its not legal but if there are blocks brought in by rancher for cattle you can hunt it. Bottom line ask game officer if you pack in salt and place it for hunting is it ok? I am planning salt to hunt or get pics until I hear otherwise

The issue is in the wording where it says intent. Meaning to me if a hunter brings in something salt or mineral for hunting its not legal but if there are blocks brought in by rancher for cattle you can hunt it. Bottom line ask game officer if you pack in salt and place it for hunting is it ok? I am planning salt to hunt or get pics until I hear otherwise

I'm with Tony on this that salt, in any form, can be placed by a hunter as it does say Salt and Water.

• Like 1

MULEPACKHUNTER

I received an email a few day ago with regarding the changes which goes into more depth/detail. The following is an excerpt from that which addresses salt.

What is "bait"?

For the purposes of R12-4-303(A)(4), the Commission considers bait to include any food-stuff or ingestible material (such as corn or wildlife feed) that has been deposited, scattered or piled, or delivered by a passive or active feeder or feed delivery system, so as to constitute an attractant, lure or enticement to wildlife and to influence the movement of these animals for the purpose of harvest by hunters. "Bait" does not include: water, salt, salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry; nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations; decoys, scent lures (provided they do not contain cervid urine), or chemical attractants provided they are not ingestible; or food plots planted within accepted local or regional agricultural guidelines. for livestock operations. Greater availability of natural resources, including water and salt, actually promotes broader distribution of wildlife The restrictions on baiting would not apply to practices that provide essential necessities for wildlife, such as water or salt licks and supplements developed and healthier populations.

You need to split the rule into three parts. The first part is 4,and everything listed under a & b is ILLEGAL for a hunter to do!! Take note that all "edible or ingestible substances," i.e. food stuffs, are illegal under this part.

Sec. 5 is self-explanatory, i.e. G&F may use such stuff as apple mash, etc.. to catch sheep, or meat, etc. to trap or kill problem bears or whatever.

Then you go to Sec. 6 -- it explains that under a,b,c,d,-- water, salt, salt-based mineral products, etc. -- are NOT considered "edible or ingestible substances," thus they are LEGAL to use.

R12-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition

4. An individual shall not use edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game. The use of edible or ingestible substances to aid in taking big game is unlawful when:

a. An individual places edible or ingestible substances for the purpose of attracting or taking big game, or

b. An individual knowingly takes big game with the aid of edible or ingestible substances placed for the purpose of attracting wildlife to a specific location.

5. Subsection (A)(4) does not limit Department employees or Department agents in the performance of their official duties.

6. For the purposes of subsection (A)(4), edible or ingestible substances do not include any of the following:

a. Water.

b. Salt.

c. Salt-based materials produced and manufactured for the livestock industry.

d. Nutritional supplements produced and manufactured for the livestock industry and placed during the course of livestock or agricultural operations.

• Like 1

Thank you Tony for clarifying this for me. I thought it was still legal to just use salt but I was making sure I had read the new rules correctly.

I agree with Tony's explanation. I asked an AGFD officer recently and he explained that salt blocks, mineral blocks (including trophy rocks) are ok because they contain salt as their main ingredient. You can't, however, put Block Topper or Deer Cain or any molasses based stuff out with your blocks. At least that is how it was explained to me. Those things are considered ingestible.