The Sportsmens Constituent Group met with AZGFD and a commissioner last night to review another round of the proposed fee increases for tags/licenses. I think they have really listened to.public input because they have done away with premium hunts and are reducing junior licenses to $5 dollars.

Since they have not raised prices since 2007 , I feel comfortable with where they ended up at. The last draft of their proposed new fees is on www.SCGINFO.com and on the AZGFD website.

There normally is so much mudslinging about AZGFD so I wanted to post something positive. The commissioners final vote is in August.

Thanks Allen Taylor

• Like 1

I feel that the best thing about the process, is that the department is taking public input and adjusting their proposal. They have now made changes after the second round of public input. I realize that they can’t make everyone happy, and they know that too. Bottom line is, any business needs to adjust their pricing as inflation and other costs increase.

Anyone can check out the latest License Structure & Fee Proposal: (copy & paste in your browser)

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/documents/LSSF/Draft%20Proposal%20Handout%20%20061813.pdf

A couple points that I would like to point out are:

• They removed the premium hunt structure from the draft. (based on overwhelming feedback)
  • Mountain Lion and Bear fees went WAY down for non-residents. (to stay in line with pricing structure of other tags)
  • Youth tag pricing went WAY down. I think this is important as hunter recruitment is key in making sure our outdoor heritage lives on. Fact is the demographic of sportsmen across America is getting smaller every year. May be non-existent in FIFTEEN YEARS! So introducing youth (and new sportsmen) to the outdoors is key for our survival.
  • The combination licenses are a great value.
  • The license being valid for a full calendar year is a great idea.
  • The department did not meet their cap on a lot of the proposed tag fees. In other words, they had the liberty to increase many tag prices by even more money, but did not.

Bottom line is this, the department takes no money from the State general fund. The cost of doing business has gone up every year, and the department has not increased fees for over 5 years. They are down in revenue $5 million compared to 2007. These new prices are forecasted to increase revenue $3.8 million, which helps tremendously.

We have some of, if not THE best hunting in the west, even with the price increases, there is still a tremendous value to us. I know I pay PREMIUM prices every year to other states for the opportunity to hunt there.

This is my opinion thus far on how things are progressing.

I have more opinions on this but want to hear what others’ have to say.

• Like 1

I am very impressed with the process and how the proposal has evolved. Big thanks to those who have worked hard to keep all the sportsman in the loop. There is a good article to the recent BUGLE magazine about resident and non resident license fees all around the western states. Happy Friday!!

I agree to a point but raising the app fees to $13 is way out of line. This is a 200% increase in non refundable dollars. Just to purchase bonus point for myself and two kids will cost $315 for all species compaired to $157.

Maybe if they can raise app fees they would be more willing to lower tag numbers. Just a thought.

I agree to a point but raising the app fees to $13 is way out of line. This is a 200% increase in non refundable dollars. Just to purchase bonus point for myself and two kids will cost $315 for all species compaired to $157.

I, and many others, agree on some of your points. Lets keep in mind, from the numbers given to us the other night, it costs the department, on average, $9 and change to run the draw. This includes everything including credit card fees.

Right now a big expense is the paper licenses sold at storefronts across the state. It takes a lot of manpower and time to acquire the info and process. The department would like to streamline this process somehow and is actively looking at ways to improve the system. Preferably going to an all online system, that would save them money.

You bring up a very good "real world" example in bringing up the cost increases for you and your family. Having the new cost of a youth license be considerably lower, helps offset "some" of the cost. The department is fully aware of the publics many choices in recreation options. (movies for example) and they want to try to make sure that we still hit the outdoors. So they walk a VERY fine line in pricing themselves out of the market. Then again, I had to take out a loan last time I went to the movies!

One thing to note, is that the $3 (resident) and $5 (non-resident) "fee" added to the Application fee will go directly to hunter access and habitat enhancements. This is obviously all near and dear to our hearts and at the forefront of the battle we are currently facing. (ie: travel management plan)

best news I've heard in a long time. Thanks guys for bringing it to us.

Make since about the cost of the draw process but what about the cost of the hunting licence? Technically this is "free money" as there is no value for the user. The licence only give the end user the opportunity to apply or obtain a tag. I remember a number of years ago, the excuse to raise licence fees was to help offset the paper draw cost. I think the app fee back then was $3. Funny how the licence fee is still going up plus the cost of the tags and now the reason is to raise the App fee due to processing cost.. I believe, if truly the philosophy of the department is " hunter retention/ recruitment" then why not use other methods to supplement their budgeting than raising all fees across the board.

I think the $5 youth licence is a good thing but it is a smoke and mirror, with app fees being increased? A normal youth licence is $15, now if it is $5. Let say, I apply for youth hunts for my son and daughter for deer, elk, javalina and spring turkey. The app fee will be $13 x 8 = $104 plus $5 each for licence = $115. Under the current system $15 x 2 = 30 plus 8 x $7.50 = 60 = $90, a cost increase of $25 just to apply. :(

Bowhunter makes a great financial point. Maybe there is still room for adjusting to "youth" application fees that are lower than proposed. I am sure the department doesn't want to lose kids. This could be an oversight. Overall they did a good job and saved many hunters from paying for premium tags. I will call them about the youth application fees and see if any modifications can be made...Allen Taylor

I might be able to swallow app fee if there is a clause that it can't be used for land owner tags or any thing of the sort in name of Hunter access.