Sign in to follow this  
Millhouse

Tree Stand vs Groundblind

I do not have extensive experience with either method of hunting and I know that several of you out there do; so I looking for some info.

What makes you choose a tree stand over a ground blind, or vise-versa? (assuming there are trees to hang a stand of course!)

Looking more as an option for deer and elk than anything else.

They both have their place but I've had more luck from ground blinds than tree stands. I'm always getting busted in a tree stand where I've had elk actually trying to poke their heads in my ground blind. Ground blinds are way more comfortable and your out of the wind, rain, and you can stand and stretch without be detected.

TJ

it depends on where your hunting. you get a better view from a tree stand and a blind gives alittle more concellment on thick cover. its a personal prefrince , both work great. and easier to sleep in a blind and a little warmer.

I like a ground blind because I can make a move to better position myself if animals are skirting me.

I've hunted tree stands all my life until I moved here. Here in AZ I just still hunt. If I hunted private property I would go back to tree stand hunting. For me, using a ground blind is not an option because IMO hunting should be done outdoors in the elements. Just how I was raised. To me, using a ground blind to hunt deer or elk is not hunting.

There's still time to learn grasshopper.

TJ

Ground blinds are very safe and do keep you out of the elements. With that being said, I think sitting a ground blind is like watching paint dry. I go nuts sitting in a ground blind and prefer to call them sleep shacks. I love being 20 plus feet in the air with a 360 degree unobstructed view of mother nature. You can see animals coming from much further off and can watch them as they wind you and walk away :-). My vote is for treestands until that nasty monsoon storm sweeps through. Then I'll complain that I'm not in my blind.....

• Like 1

ground blinds and tree stands aren't hunting well then you don' hunt much you need to evolve. whitetails aren't the easyest to stalk. takes alot of time to figure out there paterns. you keep stalking and will kill the deer and elk

/>There's still time to learn grasshopper.

TJ

Lol Tj!!! So I'm guessing he is a recurve guy that yells run before he shoots to make it "hunting" . Popcorn is right lol.

@wildwoody Never said that tree stands are not hunting. I just wouldn't use them here in AZ because I don't feel like lugging one around this terrain and you can't leave them out. Plus, I'm not going to spend money on one only to have it stolen by some jerka$$. The reason I might not take a deer has nothing to do with a stalk, tree-stand, or ground-blind; its because I don't have a ton of time to put into scouting, nor do I have a lot of knowledge about hunting units. All I really have is what I have been able to collect from the AZGFD site, from reading members posts, and from guys I have met in the field. Coincidentally, out of the 10 or so guys that I have met out in the field only two of them were using a ground-blind, together. So I don't think I'm in some small group of people that "don't want to evolve." Ground-blinds are just not for me.

@nighthawk Nothing wrong with recurves!

Grounds Blinds for me! Treestands are great but not very conducive to hunting with little kids or other individuals. Like others have said- more secluded/shelter in a ground blind. Hat's off to you recurve guys, that is one area I have not gone to just because of the difficulty...I have yet to kill a buck with a compound haha.

Our ancestors used to cover themselves in mud and fecal matter when they hunted....I have chosen to forego that method of hunting, I like my little blind. It cost me $40. I will be mad if it ever gets stolen but I didn't break the bank for it either.

point well taken ive been put in my place. ive had lots of stuff stolen around payson by losers. i need to evolve. sorry about my last statement. i am man enough to admit when im wrong and i was. good huntin

Here is what i know.. (: hunted both.. i prefer blinds cuz i can stretch.. snore lightly.. lay down for nap... make slight noises and get away with it... pee out the window cuz critters really do not care! why i do not like trees? well i fall asleep ALWAYS and i dont wanna hang from side of tree when i doze off, joints hurt and body gets stiff in cold breeze etc... oh and it seems like each year someone els i know falls and gets hurt really bad! never heard of anyone falling out of chair in blind and getting severely hurt.

Ground blind success=location, brushing in really good, and not setting it 10 flippin yards from your target.:) well i dont know much but i do know i like ground blinds!

• Like 2