Sign in to follow this  
azheadhunter

12A-12B

I have found very fresh Piles of elk scat in 12aw. I have 2 different friends who have killed elk on the deer hunt. Both happened the same way, trail cams set up caught pictures of elk a few weeks before the deer hunt, and they both tagged an elk on opening day.

• Like 1

I will say, that it is pretty rare, and I have spent a bunch of time up on those hunts over the last 7 years, and I have still yet to see one. I would do it like my buddies and put out cameras and if you start seeing elk, then buy the tag. IMO Buffalo are easier to find than the elk. Very easy to see where the buffalo have been because of their destructive foot prints in the mud. I will say that where the buffalo are usually killed and where the elk that I know of have been killed, are polar opposites in location in 12aw.

Copy that I have a few spots to check and through some cameras up but I have the archery 12a 12b so I can hunt a long ways and might be possible to kill an elk never know and thanks for the input

• Like 1

I have heard bugles while up on the late hunts. Couple of guides in camp have had visuals of raghorn bulls in the thick stuff.

gamies told us last year there was a heard of 9 stiil there . we heard some bugles one morning. few and far between there are more buffalo

If you draw a Kaibab tag you can buy a buff tag. Call your regional office. Pretty sure you have to kill a cow or yearling but that may have changed. I believe it does count toward your lifetime bag limit as well. Good luck!

I've seen three cow elk in DeMotte Park during the archery deer hunt in all the years I've been on the Kaibab. Being G&F wants to get rid of the elk on the Kaibab, it's too bad you can't have the choice to either harvest a deer or elk with your deer tag. Good luck on your hunt!

I have found very fresh Piles of elk scat in 12aw. I have 2 different friends who have killed elk on the deer hunt. Both happened the same way, trail cams set up caught pictures of elk a few weeks before the deer hunt, and they both tagged an elk on opening day.

I know SEVERAL guys that have done the same thing..

Yeah but you can't buy a buffalo tag with an archery tag right?

Yes you can, an archery buff tag actually....