Sign in to follow this  
Jcubed

Trail cams and BP?

Anyone ever had the BP at a checkpoint ask for GPS coordinates to your cams?

Just wondering if this is common.

I cross thru the checkpoint at least 5 times a week heading towards work. Alot of the time i have my hiking pack with my binoculars and scope and never have they asked me anything about my gps coordinates to my cams. That's unusual. Did you ask why?

I've been asked a few times about cams by BP. They apparently can spot them at night because the IR mode cams are like a beacon from the heavens when viewed with some night vision devices. I don't use cams, but that is what the BP agent I saw told me. I'm not sure of the legality involved- but I am wondering if they are allowed to check the SD cards for evidence of illegals on camera.

• Like 1

I've been asked a few times about cams by BP. They apparently can spot them at night because the IR mode cams are like a beacon from the heavens when viewed with some night vision devices. I don't use cams, but that is what the BP agent I saw told me. I'm not sure of the legality involved- but I am wondering if they are allowed to check the SD cards for evidence of illegals on camera.

If I knew would only check cards for illegals I would be happy to tell them where they are.

There is way too much, invasion of personal privacy, going on in America right now. I don't use trail cams, however, I don't care who asked for my GPS coordinates. My answer would not be polite.

Asking is one thing (same as asking 'may I search your car), it is a lawful, valid (in some cases) question and no way shape or form deserves a rude answer.

Demanding, or anything of that nature is another thing.

Remember Brent, you as a citizen have rights, but BP/LEO's as officers of the law have rights too.

• Like 2

Agents are told to leave Private trail cams or any other private property they encounter alone! As for asking about GPS cords, they can ask all they want, but you are not compelled to answer that if you don't want to. Know your rights!

• Like 1

Agents are told to leave Private trail cams or any other private property they encounter alone! As for asking about GPS cords, they can ask all they want, but you are not compelled to answer that if you don't want to. Know your rights!

AZLance is right on the money!!! Any body can ask any question, the uniform also doesn't mean you need to correctly answer it. (depending on the question) Remember you have the right to remain silent.

Asking is one thing (same as asking 'may I search your car), it is a lawful, valid (in some cases) question and no way shape or form deserves a rude answer.

Remember Brent, you as a citizen have rights, but BP/LEO's as officers of the law have rights too.

I'm sorry....but I don't have any tolerance ,for any, City, State, or federal agent, that, infringes on my personal freedom, without due process. Asking a law abiding citizen for GPS coordinates of a trail cam does not constitute a right of any officer. It is simply fishing for information, that is nobody else's business.

I don't feel that telling someone to mind their own business, as being rude.

I know what can happen in this country when we stand our ground against questionable tactics. Next thing you know, we are being pulled out of our vehicle at gunpoint. searched, maybe have the truck impounded and torn apart.

I respect the job, that you BP agents have to do. But at the end of the day, you still work for the man, and he is an ungrateful, and untrustworthy master.

• Like 1

What trail cameras? ;)

• Like 2

Yea go ahead and try that when a LEO asks "May I search your vehicle" say no and your in for a long wait for a warrant at the least! I said no to this once ended up incarcerated for "observation" 72hrs , vehicle towed and impounded.... And the LEO asked politely and my polite answere was "No absoulty not sir I have done nothing wrong!".... "Rights" there is allways a way to circumvent them! And an experienced LEO knows them !

Update for you all...

Was back down yesterday. It was a hot and humid day to say the least but luckily it was cloudy. After changing batteries and sd cards, did a little glassing and bailed off the mountain before dark.

I must not "look" right because 8/10 times I get stopped and searched at the checkpoints. Anyone have any helpful tips to avoid being searched constantly? I already put the windows down, take off my hat and glasses etc.

After pulling into a gas station another agent was there so I started chatting with him. REALLY nice guy and VERY helpful. I asked if it was typical to ask for GPS coordinates to the cams, he looked a little surprised and said not standard procedure, but he didn't know why the agent would ask and guessed that he had a reason for doing so (I think he was trying to say that GPS coordinates may have backed up my story as to being in the mountains and actually doing what I said I was doing).

Either way, it was a great hike in a beautiful piece of the United States. I came across my second desert tortoise on the hike which I again thought was really cool. Also found a dead calf that they buzzards were munching on but couldn't determine how it died.

On a side note, anyone seeing any of the deer branching out down south?

Yea go ahead and try that when a LEO asks "May I search your vehicle" say no and your in for a long wait for a warrant at the least! I said no to this once ended up incarcerated for "observation" 72hrs , vehicle towed and impounded.... And the LEO asked politely and my polite answere was "No absoulty not sir I have done nothing wrong!".... "Rights" there is allways a way to circumvent them! And an experienced LEO knows them !

Then you should have contacted a lawyer because with out PC that is a very clear violation of the 4th amendment.