capoeirajosh

best bang for the buck

I am starting to look into getting a new pair of binos. It will be my first pair of binos. I have always borrowed them in the past, haha. Looks like I should have between $300-$400 to spend. I don't know too much about binos as far as what size to get. They will be for deer, elk, bear, etc. As far as brands go, I keep hearing fantastic things about vortex. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!!

Vortex does make some good bino's, but for that much money I'd be looking for a used set of their higher end units, vipers or razor. Also look into minox bino's. I liked mine a lot more than I did the vortex's. cameralandny.com has some great deals on their website! Check their demo list out.

Def vortex. Like hornhunter said find some used vipers or save up another 200 and go new. Well worth the extra $. I went thru several cheaper binos before I got the vipers and couldnt be happier with them.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. What about magnification? What is a good all around solid magnification to go with?

10x50 or 8.5x42 would be my first choice. Anything over 10X and you will need a tripod to keep them steady. Anything smaller than 42mm isn't going to let in enough light during twilight hours.

I love 10x, others like 8x. I think 10 power bino's are about the best for different situations. You can easily hand hold them, use on top of a tripod for looking at longer ranges and their pretty small n light. The 8x are for close range glassing IMO

Definitely, going to pick up a lightweight tripod. Anybody have the diamondbacks by vortex? They seem pretty awesome. I like the vipers as well. Just want to know if it is really that big of a difference between the two.

I bought my son a pair of 10x50 Diamondbacks a couple of years ago and he really likes them but there is no comparison between them and my 8.5x42 Swarovski's. Not quite day and night but they are no where near as sharp as the Swarovski's.

I would suggest going someplace where you can look outside through a few pairs in your price range for comparison. Don't, I repeat DON'T look through binoculars beyond your price range because you will be jaded and won't be happy with the lesser priced models.

I've got the 10x42 diamondbacks and they are really good, probably the best in its price range. I would however suggest the viper HD's 10x42 if you can swing it. Whatever you go with make sure it's vortex. There is another topic going right now about their customer service.

• Like 1

whatever you buy, don't forget a tripod setup to go with your new glass. Your game findi'n skills will multiply when used right...goodluck

Just picked up a pair of vortex talon hd 10x42 from ross outdoors. Very nice optic. Very happy w my purchase. The guys at ross are top notch. They are right in your price range

I have owned a pair of the 15x56 kibabs (Vortex), I liked them, but used them for one season then ended up selling them. A few years before I purchased them, I bought a pair of 10x42 Swarovski's. Eventually, I determined I needed something that would allow me to see more detail on the deer I was looking at. That is where the Kibabs came in. A buddy of mine told me not to settle, and that if I did, I would regret it. I ended up buying a pair of Swaroski 15x56 and have not looked back since. Looking through both the Kibabs and the Swarovski is totally different. The Kababs are good... I give them that. But they just are not on the level of the swarovski's. If hunting is something you will do your entire life, my advice is to knuckle down and buy one pair of binoculars that will hunt as long as you do. And unless you are just meat hunting and planning on hunting timber where you will be a few hundred yards at most, I wouldn't even look at anything smaller than 10x. With 8x's you will be able to see them, but if you will be really struggling to determine decent shooters with them. Oh... and a tripod is an absolute must.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1