Sign in to follow this  
43F

Javalinas outside my window

Anyone have about 20 javalina tags that they would like to fill? Come on by, I live in N. Scottsdale. This is only four of the 20ish that are always lurking around the wash on the side of the house. I try to scare them off as much as I can because I come home from work after dark and I probably would not see them lurking and I don't want to get bit. We had a dog a few years back get into it with a few of them and it was not pretty. The first three are right outside my bedroom window and the last is one that was across the street. post-8879-0-57010000-1376140828_thumb.jpgpost-8879-0-12963200-1376140834_thumb.jpgpost-8879-0-24261600-1376140839_thumb.jpgpost-8879-0-71601000-1376140842_thumb.jpg

What's the limit? :)

TJ

• Like 2

I usually scare them off by scraping a metal pipe across the driveway, but didn't think the neighbors would appreciate that at 7am on a Sat.

My son Keith lives just north of the Tatum Blvd/Dynamite Rd.intersection. His backyard borders a wash that runs through the housing tract. Aa a result, he's constanttly getting wild visitors. One herd of javelina,pretty much live in the wash and often make their way into front yards to munch on vegetation or wander along the sidewalks. He's had several bobcats in his backyard and recently had a 3' buzztail on the back patio.

About 15 years ago when I had my German shorthair, we were in Unit 36B hunting Mearns' quail, and Ginger got into a herd of about 15 javelina. We couldn't see her at first but her barking pretty much told me she had encountered something bigger than a quail. Within seconds, the whole herd came charging up the ridge we were sidehilling, and Ginger was hot on their trail. One tiny javelina literally ran within six inches of my boot. Fortunately, there was no close encounter between dog and pig.

Tony I'm right around the corner from your son. We get the bobcats too. I just moved back up here from Old Town Scottsdale and I truly forgot about all the wildlife up here. In fact, the other night I found a huge tarantula in front of the garage. Our bobcats usually show up in pairs. I'll try to grab a picture next time they stop by.

Amanda, the dog was as tough as he was old. All he wanted to do was say hi to those guys and they tore him up pretty good. I remember he had to have a few stitches and a drain, but other than that he was ok. Needless to say my mom stopped taking him out front with her in the morning to get the paper.

If I lived there I would never be out of javelina sausage. :)

TJ

• Like 2

TJ

You know they make some .22 lr suppressors that work REALLY well. The only pig I ever shot was with a .22 and it dropped in its tracks.

TJ

You know they make some .22 lr suppressors that work REALLY well. The only pig I ever shot was with a .22 and it dropped in its tracks.

:D Sweet!

I don't know how you guys aren't flinging arrows at Bobcats! They would know my house well and probably avoid it. Maybe I answered my own question.

Repost in mid-December. If the javelina are still a nuisance, l am sure that a few archery only tags could help the situation in January. How close are yourneighbors?

Tony, I live in tatum ranch also and walk every day...see the stinkpigs often. just north of tatum and dynamite