John O

Who's Not Afraid to Hunt Down South?

It isnt only the border units. I live in Duncan and we find stuff from illegals around here pretty regularly. There are 3 of us going south on friday and we arent worried, but we do all carry pistols at least, even around here. You just have to pay a little attention to your surroundings, and not let them know you are there. You are supposed to be bowhunters and sneak up to deer, it should be fairly easy to get around people without them knowing. That is the way I look at it and I go south to hunt fairly often.

If you aren't worried why carry a sidearm,just extra weight.

Seldom Drawn

• Like 1

You tough guys sleeping in trailers or hotels? that aren't scared?I took my son and Grandson back down there three years ago

and had a drug deal with the coyote's going down in my camp at 3 am I am no pussy, chased them with my .357 and a spotlight,guess you tough guys haven't met the guys with the ak's yet don't be so naive you are not in danger what about the solo bowhunter in 34a that had his head cut off with a machete.you want to tell his family there was no need to worry about hunting down there by himself.you must not hunt the really rough steep mountains cause that's where most of them are no buck is worth the risk of putting my family in harms way it's really sad not to want to hunt there anymore I have gone done there for over 35 years with a chance at a buck every year.

good luck to you that have no fear.May God be with you.

Seldom Drawn

no i didnt, do you have a link to the story?

edit: i found some old forum talk about it from other sites. well, i guess it just piss's me off to think i cant hunt down there due to illegal aliens and drug smugglers? i think you could could easily get in trouble down there. but i still go, its exciting. if i get killed maybe ill the one dead guy that makes them do something about how jacked up the border area is. also, if i was archery hunting down there id pack a side arm, i dont care if its not legal. i dont think law down there would either.

I always carry a sidearm for protection while I am bow hunting down south. I do up north as well, never know when you might need to protect yourself, Bear or Bandit.

Caution and fear are two different things. One is rational thought ... like calculating the odds of encountering issues with cartel / illegals. The other is an emotional response.

I hunt the mountain units because I like the scenery and the weather, and the animals aren't bad either (Strip/Kaibab/White Mountains). Sure there are great Coues bucks down on the border ... but the odds are higher I am going to have an encounter with bad folks down there. Same thing as "Would I rather walk down the streets at night in Scottsdale or in South Phoenix???" If I am looking to fight ... South Phoenix has better odds that I can get into some trouble. And while I've never shied away from trouble when it comes, I like to think that I'm cautious/smart to avoid it where possible. I'm not afraid to fight ... never have been. I just don't do it if I don't have to ... there are other options. But there is no fear ...

• Like 1

I hunt the southern units and use caution as others have advised. If you spot and stalk WT hunt you should usually see them coming. Jump hunting deer or quail is more risky and I normally would choose not to hunt that way down south although I have done it from time to time. In the Santa Ritas I accidently surprised a group layed up and it was not a good feeling because I just took one step up over the top of a ravine and found myself face-to-face with them, and me carrying my shotgun.

As far as camping, I'm more worried about improved campgrounds in semi-remote locations no matter where in the USA that may be. Not unheard of for violent criminals to hide out, and very common for your average everyday wierdos to pull up next door at sundown.

I live and hunt in 35A. Ive run into illegals several times but never had any serious problems. I always carry a sidearm and try to stay aware of my suroundings. I mostly worry about my truck getting broken into or stolen. I usually install the club on my stering wheel when I park it.

I've used the Club on my vehicles for years. I had to have a locksmith come out and make me a set of keys when I left them at a farm stand in Wlcox one year and didn't realize it until I got back to a buddy's house in Tucson.

It took him about 10 minutes to make a key for the door and less than 10 seconds to pick the lock on the Club. It was the older model with the flat key and now I upgraded to the newer one with the four sided key.

Not me, that hunt is awesome! Awesome country and awesome deer! Totally awesome!

emoticon_shh.jpg

if you can't kill a 85 inch buck in any unit down south you aren't walkin, know need to keep it a secret emr,it's been awesome for the 35 years.I have been going down there if you aren't seeing 3 to 4 bucks a day and 20 illegalls your in the wrong spot.and this is on an oct hunt nov and dec is unbelivable for finding bucks,.and lion and bear hunting on these hunts can be amazing.but usally the bear quota has been met.