BowNut

New Rifle Help!!!!

going on with what coosefan wrote, your scope is of the same amount of importance as your rifle, if you spend 1200 dollars on a rifle and 100 dollars on a scope all you have is a one hundred dollar rifle. Stay away from the Trashco and lower end models. YOu need to mount a quality scope on that like a top of the line nikon, leupold(my favorite) or something of similiar if not better quality. AG

If you plan on hand loading and working up a load for a rifle long range coues specific plus are looking for something 25-06ish then look at the ballistics of the 257 WBY Mag. It is real fast and flat shooting. The caliber will limit your rifle selection unless you plan on spending some extra cash to have a rifle rebarreled for this caliber.

As I get older I'm becoming more of what I think is "practical". I have shot and owned quite a few of the more exotic calibers. I now prefer to own rifles in a caliber where I know that I'll find a few boxes of shells in both Walmart. the little general store in Happy Jack, AZ and the gas station in Alpine, AZ. That is why I would go with something in 300 Win Mag or 30-06. Plus the 30 caliber is loaded in such a wide bullet weight variety you can have one rifle for everything in North America.

I'm a big fan of 300wby mag, however, 257wby has very similar trajectory with less recoil. Yes, less energy also but that shoudn't be a problem with coues deer.

The all-time all around champ has to be 30-06 ,versatility, variety, availability.

Goodluck

I'm primarily a bowhunter myself, but when I rifle hunt nothing beats the 30-06, from knock down power to long range shooting, this caliber has it all, not to mention the wide range of loads it is available in. I'm currently using Hornady 165 grain light magnums (-6.6" @ 300 yards.)

From varmints to Moose nothing beats the tried, the true, the tested 30-06. B)

I shot my Moose with a 30-06 shooting 180gr nosler partitions. It took four solid shots to finally put him on the ground...........I don't know if anything else would have done it faster or with less shots?

I like the tried and true 7mm and the 300 win mag. My coues gun is the dependable .270. My scope failed on my 300 win. in Alaska, so I used my buddy's 30-06 for my Moose. With that said....I would spend more money and thought on which scope to put on your new rifle than which caliber! just my $.02, JIM>

I agree coosefan the scope is just as important as the rifle. As far as if any other caliber may have taken the moose down faster, I don't know those things are built like a mack truck, maybe your 300 win? B)

Totally agree on the scopes. My dad was a sniper on a SWAT team I know about the need for a quality scope on a high end rifle.

I'm primarily a bowhunter myself, but when I rifle hunt nothing beats the 30-06, from knock down power to long range shooting, this caliber has it all, not to mention the wide range of loads it is available in. I'm currently using Hornady 165 grain light magnums (-6.6" @ 300 yards.)

From varmints to Moose nothing beats the tried, the true, the tested 30-06. B)

I shot my Moose with a 30-06 shooting 180gr nosler partitions. It took four solid shots to finally put him on the ground...........I don't know if anything else would have done it faster or with less shots?

I like the tried and true 7mm and the 300 win mag. My coues gun is the dependable .270. My scope failed on my 300 win. in Alaska, so I used my buddy's 30-06 for my Moose. With that said....I would spend more money and thought on which scope to put on your new rifle than which caliber! just my $.02, JIM>

I agree coosefan the scope is just as important as the rifle. As far as if any other caliber may have taken the moose down faster, I don't know those things are built like a mack truck, maybe your 300 win? B)

I put the video of my moose kill on here, you can see first hand how tough they are. It is under the photo&video forum. Thanks, JIM>

Well, I decided to go with 270 WSM I think but it is going to be a little while before I buy it. I just got back from the archery shop and ordered my "07" Hoyt bow. I did not get a tag this year so I got to a few months before I buy one.

he would be gaining 200-300 fps. with just about the same amount of powder

Like I said, you're not gaining much here. I did the research 3 years ago and ended up taking my dads 270 instead of a new 270 wsm. Trajectories were not that far off. Magazine capacity is low with WSM's. I think they are over rated.