Sign in to follow this  
kingbeer

new to bow hunting!

I have hunted in Walmart camo for years. I don't think what pattern you wear matters. As long as you are still and keep your scent down wind you will be fine. I have had a lot of animals really close and even taken a few in jeans and a brown T-shirt. Good Luck

/>

In my opinion, boots & clothes are the most important part of a hunting system, more so than your bow & even optics. If you don't stay warm & dry, you won't stay in the field, & most people don't kill much back at camp sitting by the fire trying to wam up.

That having been said, you can find great socks & base layers by shopping for mountaineering & backpacking gear online. I've always had a problem w/ cold feet, so last winter I picked up 2 pairs of -40 wool socks on Amazon for less than $20 (included shipping). there is a ton of stuff, both new & used, available on Ebay & Amazon for bargain prices compared to Cabelas or Bass Pro. Go to the big stores if you like to touch, feel & try on the products until you determine what you like, than go home & look for it online before you spend the money at the store. You can get a discount price, avoid paying 10% sales tax & also often get free shipping.

As for camos, I'm a fan of Sitka gear. It's expensive, buy I've had my same set of sitka camo for more than 5 years. Good gear can last a very long time.

+1 on Sitka gear. I don't yet own any, but I have heard and seen great things about it. Of the higher end/higher priced clothing, it is probably the only I would consider buying.

If I were you, I'd look at Kuiu.com. Far, FAR superior product. The sitkas are comfy, but if you're in cat claw country, they will get shredded quick, fast, and in a hurry! I wear my kuiu attack pants everywhere i wore the sitkas and i dont have any rips or pulls. Plus, they are the most comfortable pants I own(besides my terrycloth pj bottoms ;) ). Kuiu's are lighter and stronger than sitka (no elastic/ lycra) and I really like the camo pattern (and cheaper by an average of $20). I'm in the process of replacing all of my hunting gear with Kuiu, even my hunt pack/frame. Take a look before you decide, youll be happy you did!

I'll have to check those out. My Sitka mountain pants have taken a beating. They definitely bare the scars of many trips in the desert, but are still in one peace after 6 years of hunting with them. However, there's always a better product some where....

• Like 1

I am new to bow hunting and need to get set up with clothes! I live in the greater phoenix area. I have looked at cabelas and sportsmans warehouse and thing are just to much money! anyone know a better place to go but still get good quality? I know it is going to cost money just don't want to spend 200+ for a shirt and pants! thanks for the info.

if you are just looking to get started cheap... anything that breaks up your outline will work...

I have some old video of a guy in jeans and a plaid shirt put a stalk on a whitetail with a recurve and actually gets to 20-25 yds and the buck ducked the arrow. also a ton of Fred Bear videos and I can't remember him wearing much camo. I would suggest getting some of the unscented wash for your clothes.

look at some of the guys that call coyotes.....

what I have done over the years is 1 piece at a time... a shirt here, when on sale, a pair of pants there, when on sale.

you can kill animals with out camo, I think we all gain a bit of confidence when we wear camo... plus it looks cool as heck!

good luck!

James

A good trick that works is to wear different style, pattern, colors, camo shirts and pants. It breaks the human outline.

/>

In my opinion, boots & clothes are the most important part of a hunting system, more so than your bow & even optics. If you don't stay warm & dry, you won't stay in the field, & most people don't kill much back at camp sitting by the fire trying to wam up.

That having been said, you can find great socks & base layers by shopping for mountaineering & backpacking gear online. I've always had a problem w/ cold feet, so last winter I picked up 2 pairs of -40 wool socks on Amazon for less than $20 (included shipping). there is a ton of stuff, both new & used, available on Ebay & Amazon for bargain prices compared to Cabelas or Bass Pro. Go to the big stores if you like to touch, feel & try on the products until you determine what you like, than go home & look for it online before you spend the money at the store. You can get a discount price, avoid paying 10% sales tax & also often get free shipping.

As for camos, I'm a fan of Sitka gear. It's expensive, buy I've had my same set of sitka camo for more than 5 years. Good gear can last a very long time.

+1 on Sitka gear. I don't yet own any, but I have heard and seen great things about it. Of the higher end/higher priced clothing, it is probably the only I would consider buying.

If I were you, I'd look at Kuiu.com. Far, FAR superior product. The sitkas are comfy, but if you're in cat claw country, they will get shredded quick, fast, and in a hurry! I wear my kuiu attack pants everywhere i wore the sitkas and i dont have any rips or pulls. Plus, they are the most comfortable pants I own(besides my terrycloth pj bottoms ;) ). Kuiu's are lighter and stronger than sitka (no elastic/ lycra) and I really like the camo pattern (and cheaper by an average of $20). I'm in the process of replacing all of my hunting gear with Kuiu, even my hunt pack/frame. Take a look before you decide, youll be happy you did!

I'll have to check those out. My Sitka mountain pants have taken a beating. They definitely bare the scars of many trips in the desert, but are still in one peace after 6 years of hunting with them. However, there's always a better product some where....

Please do, you won't be disappointed! One of the guys that started sitka left and started Kuiu. He brought everything that was good at sitka and vastly improved/lightened it. Go to the website and read upon it, you'll be hooked like I am!

Walmart, or Sportsmans Guide. The critters don't care what you wear, just get something that is effective at either keeping cool, or warm and don't forget some rain gear. Boots, this is where you should spend your money in my opinion. Don't ever go cheap on footwear. Can't kill deer in camp when you have hurt feet. Hunting has been around forever, but camo has only been around a short time when you think about it. Wore my old Army camo for years until I got um too fat to fit in them.