Sign in to follow this  
out4blood

Decoy?

I am debating the purchase of a decoy for my up coming early archery bull hunt. I'm curious If anyone here has used them in the past and what the results were like. I don't wanna purchase/carry something that isn't useful. Also, what decoy did you use?

Thanks.

I know from MANY cam pics most of the animals don't care too much about cattle if they are in the area. I keep threatening to get the big cow decoy to hide behind but haven't done it yet. Also seems like a good one to keep from some bonehead trying to sneak up on you.

I know from MANY cam pics most of the animals don't care too much about cattle if they are in the area. I keep threatening to get the big cow decoy to hide behind but haven't done it yet. Also seems like a good one to keep from some bonehead trying to sneak up on you.

I have a cow blind from my antelope hunt last year. I haven't thought about bringing it but I probably will now. Could be useful as a blind on tanks.

I helped on a hunt last year and we used the Montana cow elk decoy and it worked great. We had bulls come charging in from downwind just to check out the decoy. It's light weight and I just tucked it between my back and my pack. It was totally worth having.

I helped on a hunt last year and we used the Montana cow elk decoy and it worked great. We had bulls come charging in from downwind just to check out the decoy. It's light weight and I just tucked it between my back and my pack. It was totally worth having.

I've always enjoyed using decoys and am anticipating the senerio you described. Do you remember what model decoy you used? BTW, I beleive we ran into eachother turkey hunting this spring. I took pic's of the tom you shot. My name is Ed, I was with my buddy Jason.

• Like 1

I am having the same debate!! I want one just don't know about spending $90 on it, or end up not carrying it around every where I go.

I have cam pics in the forest w antelope and elk moving around cattle. Deer however don't seem to be very social with any other critters. I am see the cow elk could be used the same way just not during cow elk rifle season. ;)

Bass Pro has the Montana decoy currently on sale.

I have the broadside MT cow elk. I'm generally solo but this year I'm the caller for my dad and plan on using it for sure.

There was a show on pursuit channel yesterday with the caller using the cow elk butt - seemed to work well as the bulls get to that range where they might hang up cause they expect to see another elk.

• Like 2

I've always enjoyed using decoys and am anticipating the senerio you described. Do you remember what model decoy you used? BTW, I beleive we ran into eachother turkey hunting this spring. I took pic's of the tom you shot. My name is Ed, I was with my buddy Jason.

Ed, thanks again for the pictures! We had the broadside cow decoy. What unit is your tag in?

Ed, thanks again for the pictures! We had the broadside cow decoy. What unit is your tag in?

My brother and I drew 4a. Did your wife end up getting her bird?

No, we never got on them again. Only heard one more gobble the rest of the hunt. I wish I had some info on 4A for you but I don't know that unit. Good luck!

I had mixed results last year (my first archery elk hunt) with the Montana Miss September decoy.

Pros: A herd bull was bugling down the other side of a hill and I got busted by a bunch of cows when coming over the top - they started hauling butterscotch butt. I slammed the decoy into the ground so it stood up and blew my cow call. The cows put on the brakes and started grazing. It was amazing the difference the decoy made.

I was having a rest in a big shady bowl I knew elk had been using, but they weren't home. I set up my decoy uphill from me a little. After my nap, I stood the decoy against a tree to pick up my pack and blew the cow call, just to see if I could get an answer. A calf came scrambling in about 6 feet from me. I laid down when I saw it coming and my head was underneath the decoy belly. That calf stopped and gave me the strangest look. Tried to get a picture but couldn't.

Cons: When you're hunting solo, it can be a little bit of a handful to set up and take down. I started leaving the 'legs' attached and putting it over my shoulders so the body was trapped between my pack and back. It probably looked a little funny to anyone who saw me.

Not sure which category this should go in - I was following a herd of about 50-60 elk with several nice bulls for over 2 miles and trying to get in front to cut them off. I cut one small lagging group off but they went wide around me, so I slung my pack and picked up the decoy to start back to where I'd come from. Well, here comes about 5 cows and another nice bull walking right to me about 30 yards away. I let the decoy drop flat on the ground in front of me and my pack tried to get set up. The cows stopped and the bull started bugling at my decoy flat on the ground. He knew something wasn't right. He stayed behind the trees and called his cows to leave with him. If I'd have had another 15 seconds or so, I might have had the presence to get it set off to the side and behind me and set up for him.

"Devil Diver" sounds like you had more pros than cons. I have been using one for 9 years now. It's light and fits in your pack,easily, if I am doing set ups with cow calls I always put it out and have had bulls and cows come in eyeing the decoy. If I'm after a bugling bull that's moving I never have enough time or I'm never in one place long enough to set it up. I have been carrying clothes pins and pin it to a bush most of the time, got a couple of small spring clamps that I will use this year. The last bull I shot with a bow was the 7th bull we brought into the decoy that day, we had a spike coming to the decoy when I heard a twig snap behind me and saw a bull looking over me and at the decoy. 18 yds through the heart.