Sign in to follow this  
CouesRanger

mountain lion stalking in on doe.

Buddy of mine called me this morning while archery hunting in unit close to valley which made me think he had harvested a deer. But he was calling me from his truck after he had a mountain lion walk 100 yards next to him heading towards a mule deer doe he had been watching for a few hours in a isolated canyon. He only had his bow so he was kindof freaked out being by himself. Are mountain lion pretty territorial and stay in a close vicinity or do they travel long distances?

They do tend to stick to a general area unless chased out or forced to leave for food or water. I wouldn't worry to much if I were your buddy. Lions are everywhere. It would be hard to find an area where there wasn't one fairly close. People just don't know see them often and have no idea how close they really area. Carrying a sidearm is never a bad idea though.

I've gotten in the habit of buying a lion tag every year and keeping it in my pack. You just never know when you'll see one.

• Like 1

If it was a female she might still be around the area. Males tend to travel more looking for females.

Not sure the gender of the cat since it was my buddy who saw it. Heading out there right now to chase some bucks with my bow with the storms rolling in. We will see what comes in to water for a drink.

Not sure the gender of the cat since it was my buddy who saw it. Heading out there right now to chase some bucks with my bow with the storms rolling in. We will see what comes in to water for a drink.

Who saw it? Kyle?

Buddy joe saw the cat over on our normal side or the road towards the top of the big mountain close to where kyle shot his muley couple years back.

Never hurts to give it a try.

I got in the habit of carrying a sidearm right after it became legal. Hunted 27 one year (several years back) and had a cat around our camp at night. Pretty unnerving when you know it is there, and then head out in the AM at O'Dark Thirty looking for deer with only a bow, but we were there to hunt, and I figured I was armed (with the bow) so what the heck right? Third morning I was out sitting a little trail on a cut kinda half asleep at the switch, and all of a sudden had the hairs raise on the back of my neck and got the feeling I was being watched. Never saw anything, but went from feeling normal to 1000% Red Alert in a heartbeat. Sidearms became legal that year, so out of the truck and onto the hip it went. Been there when I bowhunt ever since.

Are mountain lion pretty territorial and stay in a close vicinity or do they travel long distances?

I have noticed that if they aren't on a kill, they may cover 1-4 miles a night until they are on back on a kill. After 3-7 days feeding, they make a large movement out of the general area.

I wouldn't hold your breathe waiting for that cat to show back up.

per game and fish - Range: 10-150 miles, with males ranging further

but im no expert :rolleyes:

that is 150 square miles. a lion will stay in the same area if there are deer or elk there. if they see humans they wont leave they will just move a little. I tend to find them in same areas year after year. females stay in same area for most part males will move a little more.

Coming from a friend that hunts lions with dogs and trail cameras. If a cat shows up on your camera be there in exactly 5 days of when the picture was taken and the cat will be back.

GBA

• Like 1