Sign in to follow this  
down2hunt

Hunting small game while a big hunt is in progress?

The OP was wondering about squirell hunting in/during a jr. Elk hunt, just saying, go somewhere else or wait... Not saying don't smallgame hunt.... AnYeah, get away from other hunters... Touchy folks lately...

haha not me. i just figured you ment you shouldnt hunt smalll game at all during any big game season. it can be understood both ways. plus i am sure a lot of folks would that would want it that way, i know my father-n-law does haha.

The OP was wondering about squirell hunting in/during a jr. Elk hunt, just saying, go somewhere else or wait... Not saying don't smallgame hunt.... AnYeah, get away from other hunters... Touchy folks lately...

This what he asked:

"Can you hunt for small game while a big hunt is in progress? (Example: squirrel hunting while a jr.elk hunt is in progress) I thought I read it some where in the regulations that you couldn't hunt small game during big game hunt but I can't seem to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

He used an EXAMPLE with squirrel hunting, which could have just as easily been: (Example: quail hunting while a deer hunt is in progress.

/>

hahahaha, your one of the instigators of the touchy people here the past week one shot!!! I ain't mad at ya and I'm sure most others aren't either, I love the touchy, pissy, "mines bigger than yours" posts lately. It's my alternative to TV (and work at times) all in good humor on my part but if anyone wants to go for the record, you gotta lot of pages to fill. I can't wait til hunting is in full swing for everyone!!!

Guest oneshot

No problem MuleDeerArea33?... Guess I'll have to COMPLETELY spell out my opinions in the future so there is no doubt what point I'm trying to make...(or just stop altogether hehehe)...

Don't stop!! Your opinions have made me think once or twice. I'm 30 and my youngest good friend is over 40, needless to say I'm an old soul and respect the old guys experience you folks bring. If you need a hug and wanna talk about it I'm 45 min away, I'll buy the drinks!!! Still, I'm just havin fun. :-)

Guest oneshot

Man hugs aren't THAT bad (just keep the hiparea32 pulled back and the hands shoulder high), and FREE drinks are a Gooood thing.... Good Luck on your hunts...

You know, on more than one occasion, while I've been small game hunting (to include during a big game season) I've had deer very close to me and not spook. I swear they know sometimes that you aren't after them... Back in Texas we had a small group of deer that came up behind our duck blind even while we were hail calling and take a drink, and they were just standing there looking at us in the water with decoys out. I really do believe that they know whether or not they are being hunted.

I do think years ago, it was illegal to hunt small game during a big game hunt. However, now I beleive it is legal. I do not think I would intentially hunt squirrels in a unit while a youth elk hunt is in progress. There are only 6 youth elk hunts. There are far too many other areas to hunt squirrels. But, with that said, if my daughter was lucky enough to get an elk on opening day, we would spend the rest of the weekend looking for some squirrels........a crock pot full of squirrels is awfully hard to beat.

• Like 1

Considering that archery deer starts in August & then the elk, rifle deer, rifle elk, HAM & rifle Javi, etc, etc... There's big game hunting non stop from August to March. It stops just in time for the spring hunts to begin. IF small game hunters held off because there was a big game hunt in progress, they'd literally get about a 2 week opportunity to hunt.

I think all hunters need to be courteous of others, regardless of what size game they're pursuing. And you should be doubly courteous to non-hunters that happen to be in the field, such as hikers & family-campers. Leaving a favorable, respectful impression of hunters in the minds of these voters can help prevent your privilige to hunt from being tossed away on the ballot as it has been in other states.

• Like 5