Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Let's hear your "Zombie-dove" stories

So I'm unpacking the truck at around 8:30pm after an afternoon dove hunt and getting my table set for cleaning a limit of doves. I usually keep them whole and put 5 birds per ziplock gallon freezer bag in an iced cooler until I'm home and ready to start plucking. I grab the first full bag and it happens to be the last 5 birds I had shot for the day. I breast all of them out no problem. I slide the zipper thingy open on the second Ziplock bag and grab onto a bird. It starts flapping around like crazy and now I'm chasing it around my garage! It was in the bag with the first 5 birds of the afternoon, and all of those were dead when they hit the ground (or so I had been led to believe). All through the process of stuffing it into the bag with the other 4, not a single sign of life in any of the birds. I sit on my cooler during the hunt and never heard or felt a thing. I bet I shot that bird sometime between 4:00-4:30 and it spent at least 4 hours completely sealed off in a ziplock bag that got ice cold in that cooler, not to mention it was originally shot. My only explanation is that it was a Zombie Dove. Scared the living daylights out of me and there are feathers everywhere in the garage now. From now on, I'm checking for a pulse.

• Like 1

That's why we usually snap the heads off…..Just wait til you forget a dead one in your vest on the last hunt of the season……

• Like 3

That's why we usually snap the heads off…..Just wait til you forget a dead one in your vest on the last hunt of the season……

I know people who've done this. I believe this is what really keeps the small game vest makers in business!

• Like 1

I always pull the heads off!!! Even if I think it's dead, in your case it wasn't and suffered. I love the kill but I will not be cruel, I know you didn't intend to be cruel and I'm not bashing you, every animal I kill is is dead dead, when I kill them, whether it be ripped off heads, cut throats, or pulse as you stated lol.

Yeah, I am now really feeling bad about that- especially since it was clearly only unconscious and freezing cold for about 4-4.5 hours. If it had gotten out of the garage I think it might have made it to the neighbor's feeder and bird bath- that would have been the easy life for that dude! I usually don't care for snapping the heads off- but I will do it every time now!

• Like 1

My Dad did this exact thing, IN MY VEST!

Next time you should use HORNADY ZOMBIE MAX SHOTGUN AMMUNITION.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure how the whole "zombie" thing got started but I've hated it since 2008. A buddy of mine kind of set me straight. He said "you know all of these zombie people are just helping to strength the shooting/hunting sports, right?) I guess he's right but I still don't like it lol.

• Like 1

And the neon green everything? How does that make it "zombie"?

I grew up on the empire ranch where's there's always been good dove shooting, I have had numerous doves just fly out of my vest as I was hiking around, some killed recently and some killed hours ago, I think sometimes they r just knocked out cold or just plainly come back to life!

• Like 1

Speaking of Zombies, anybody a fan of The Walking Dead?

Heck yeah! The Walking Dead has some of the best zombies, but I'm getting a little zombied out right about now...

/>I'm not exactly sure how the whole "zombie" thing got started but I've hated it since 2008. A buddy of mine kind of set me straight. He said "you know all of these zombie people are just helping to strength the shooting/hunting sports, right?) I guess he's right but I still don't like it lol.

I'm not a real Zombie lore fanatic either... I think all the people with their zombie-slaying neon green crap are a bunch of toolbags. I used it for my own entertainment and satire. But seriously, the Walking Dead is a great show to watch then make fun of with a good group of cynics.

• Like 1

I like the walking dead, but having "zombie" ammo and neon green everything is a bit much... I know of a guy that has a "zombie hunter" sticker on his lifted street queen of a Tacoma(and he's a little guy, I think he needs to get a running start just to get into his truck!), makes me laugh every time I see it...