Sign in to follow this  
Scooter

Let's hear your "Zombie-dove" stories

That's why we usually snap the heads off…..Just wait til you forget a dead one in your vest on the last hunt of the season……

I know people who've done this. I believe this is what really keeps the small game vest makers in business!

Has happened before to me, and just happened again this season!

Kids and I had a great time last weekend and shot LOTS of doves! Came home from work yesterday and the house had a funky-stink to it. Didn't take long for my nose to take me to the utility closet where I store my shot shells and vests (inside of a Rubber Made container). Holy STINK!!! :blink: And that was only after 5 days..... Ended-up throwing away the vest that had the dead bird plus the vest that was sitting underneath it!

You're right! Time to buy two new vests now..... ;)

S.

:)

BTW, I did have a pretty funny 'dove zombie' story from last weekend!

I had loaned my vest to one of the kids last weekend, so was just kind of hunting with shells in pockets and not place to put my birds. I stayed close to the truck and noticed the empty Duncan Donuts box on the tail gate, so I started putting my birds in the Duncan box (again, no vest......). Well, a bit later one of the little girls who was along was back at the trucks for a water break and thought she would see if there were any donuts left. I look over just in time to see her open the lid while this big zombie dove decides to come back to life in the box! :D She jumped back and we all had a good laugh!

S.

• Like 1

BTW, I did have a pretty funny 'dove zombie' story from last weekend!

I had loaned my vest to one of the kids last weekend, so was just kind of hunting with shells in pockets and not place to put my birds. I stayed close to the truck and noticed the empty Duncan Donuts box on the tail gate, so I started putting my birds in the Duncan box (again, no vest......). Well, a bit later one of the little girls who was along was back at the trucks for a water break and thought she would see if there were any donuts left. I look over just in time to see her open the lid while this big zombie dove decides to come back to life in the box! :D She jumped back and we all had a good laugh!

S.

Bwahahahaa!!! She'll never look for donuts the same way again...

I have a hard time watching the walking dead. I just doesn't seem very real to me. Hollywoods overdone it again taking a good story and making it unbelievable. It's like the same thing they do with good books.

In all seriousness though I'm glad I have never left a dove in the vest cause I have actually washed mine many times. Now that could get ugly really fast.....

Never had it happen with doves, but at least once or twice I had quail work their way out of my vest and try to fly off. I have a really ugly story about a quail being left in my vest in the Tucson heat for a few weeks before I opened the outdoor closet. There is no going back on that one if you've ever done it.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure how the whole "zombie" thing got started but I've hated it since 2008. A buddy of mine kind of set me straight. He said "you know all of these zombie people are just helping to strength the shooting/hunting sports, right?) I guess he's right but I still don't like it lol.
I have been of the same mind set. My only concern is are these the kind of people we want in our ranks.?

Oz31p, it's hard to say really? On one hand more people shooting/hunting makes it harder for anyone to try and stop hunting/shooting. On the other hand, more people equals more trash, accidents, ignorance, and overall unsportsmanlike conduct. It's a thin line to be standing on.

Still remember the first one and most memorable...3 of us had been out for a few hours and limited out. Back at the truck comparing birds and one guy pulls out a bird that's just calmly sitting in his hand looking around. We started calling him the magician after that.

Yeah I'm not sure how i feel about the whole zombie thing either...all marketing of course.

Never had a zombie dove. But, years ago in grad school, I had trapped a spotted skunk and threw it in my freezer to skin it out later when I had some free time. Three years later, I was finally skinning out this long-frozen omnivore when my scalpel slipped and pricked the scent sac. Time slowed down to a crawl as I watched a stream of liquid leave the sac and arc with a perfect trajectory towards my open, screaming mouth! Yes, it went right in!!! Jalapenos, chiltapenes, chili peppers, even pepper spray couldn't hold a candle to the putrid and powerful force which exuded from that sac! I was rolling around on the ground coughing and hacking out my lungs, with non-stop liquid dripping out of my eyes. My nose and eyes watered for a week after that and I was coughing and hacking up mucus for a few days longer. Zombie skunk certainly had the last laugh on this one!

And I never watched zombie movies before, but last summer I found the Walking Dead on Netflixx and watched them all. I was just glad they couldn't run as fast as the zombies on Legend. Will Smith never had a chance!

No matter how dead they look I always hold them by the head and spin them around about a dozen times. My son pops off the heads but I leave them on. I've only been able to make it out five times this year so the new vest I bought is ready for the washer.

Not to be graphic, although its not really graphic? A doves head come right off, no effort, no twisting/spinning, just a very gentle pull and it's off. Not much blood, no effort. If you can deal with decapitation of a bird to be humane, it's not hard. Just gentley pull. No suffering, no "zombie birds" just some good dead fresh dinner.

Happy to report... closed out the season with Saturday and Sunday limits of confirmed DEAD doves. None of them required decapitation or other means. Switched to 20ga Estate Super Sport competition #9's and kept my shots under 25yds. Didn't see barely any breast damage when they were dressed out so I will have to find some more of these wonderful shells.

Was just going thru Luke Duke's bird vest looking for shells for quail tomorrow, and "sniff sniff", a dead dove! He had so many empty shells in the bird pouch it's no wonder he left one in there.