Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

3C mule deer, should we make it happen?

My wife drew a 3C mule deer tag this year with no points. She has a way of drawing good tags, for example she drew a sheep tag last year on her third year applying.

We are really having a difficult time carving out the time to make the trip from Oregon (10+ days). If we are able to make it, it would be to hunt the last five days of the season. What is your impression of that specific hunt? Should we do what it takes to make happen? Her best buck she took with a muzzleloader last year and it scored about 155. I'd love to see her better that.

Last year most everyone left after opening weekend, which made it nice and quite. There's lot of nice bucks but scouting is key, if you don't scout then don't hold your expectations to high. If you scout then you'll have a better chance on knowing where to or not to go.

Good luck cause if you don't scout you'll need it on your side.

As someone who has put in for that hunt for several consecutive years but has not drawn, please do not waste the tag, I might cry. It is a great unit and you could have a great hunt.

• Like 1

do NOT let that tag go unhunted! draw odds are under 10% these days for a reason.

i was in a management program in 2008 and didn't hunt my last 3C tag-regret it every fall.

i live in the unit and can be a friend. but better yet contact forum member shane koury-KouryGuideService.

good luck,

lee

Thanks everyone for your input. We'd sure like to make it there if we can. The original plan was to fly my wife down to spend a few days with her best friend in Phoenix. I was going to drive down and scout before the season for a few days then pick her up and bring her up for her hunt. We have hit a major scheduling conflict that won't let that happen now.

I have heard outfitter Shane Koury is very good in that unit, but we have had some substantial expenses this year we didn't anticipate so we will just have to do this on our own. On our out of state hunts, we typically do a ton of research and are able to take an animal that is well above average. If you have any pointers on areas to check out, feel free to PM me. Thanks a bunch.

You should do what ever it takes. I put in for that tag and didn't get drawn and ir really sucks to hear about a tag getting waisted. If you can't make it at least send it over to http://www.outdoorexperienceforall.org.

Thanks for much for that information about Outdoor Experience For All. That is a super option for us to consider.

It would be a darn shame to think she had a 24B December WT tag and a 3C Muley tag and never spent a day in the field.

It would be a darn shame to think she had a 24B December WT tag and a 3C Muley tag and never spent a day in the field.

It's unfortunate you feel you need to take a poke at her without understanding our situation.

She spent many days in the field, around 30 last year. She killed a 168" Oregon ram (8th day of a 9 day season), two antelope (one 80") and a mule deer (155") with a muzzleloader.

Her only special tag this year was this 3C tag, and she was so looking forward to her hunt. Our original plan was that she would see her best friend in Phoenix for a few days while I scouted the unit for deer, then she'd come up and meet me for the season opener. That plan isn't possible now, but we still thought we maybe had a narrow window (4 or 5 hunting days) to make the hunt happen. Even that window seems to have closed in the last couple days.

We've spent 4 years in a custody battle that has taken an enormous toll on us financially, physically and emotionally that was resolved only days ago. We are finally back to a normal schedule with the children enforced by the court. The only way to make the 3C deer hunt happen would be to give up several days with the kids. That didn't feel right to us.

I've gotta run. I've got a deer hunt this morning with my son. First one in 4 years.

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that you feel I was taking a poke at her. I was simply stating that it would be a shame to have those two tags and never pursued filling either. That's it, no more, no less. Nothing personal, nothing vindictive, nothing even critical. Just a bummer.

Guest wdenike
It's unfortunate that you feel I was taking a poke at her. I was simply stating that it would be a shame to have those two tags and never pursued filling either. That's it, no more, no less. Nothing personal, nothing vindictive, nothing even critical. Just a bummer.

Umpqua,

I wouldn't know Flatlander if I tripped over him. But after silently reading on here. I have seen him go out of his way to help people. And believe the above quote is as truthful as it gets. I'm just on the out side lookin in, but would bet I'm right.

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

Flatlander, thanks for your explanation I appreciate that. Willie thanks for your post as well. I also apologize if I came across abrupt.

I only wish I could make this hunt happen for my wife. it pains me to not be able to. She is an amazing lady. I could tell she was a let down as we went through our calendar, but she insisted that the kids come first.

The great news is my son killed a gorgeous Columbia Whitetail this morning. They were federally protected until about 10 years ago. We have them in our valley and not a lot of people have gotten to hunt them. Couldn't have happened to a nicer young man.

photo_zps8dbde64a.jpg

• Like 2