Sign in to follow this  
RodinAZ

Trophy Cow down

This was my first experience bow hunting in AZ and my first bow hunt for elk. A buddy and I spent several weekends in this area scouting and setting up cameras, we had numerous pictures of all things elk along with deer a bear and even a hummingbird. In the weeks leading up to the hunt we set up tree stands exactly where they needed to go to ensure a quick hunt. My opening morning started on Sunday, three days after the opener, he'd been hunting since opening morning without an opportunity at a bull much less getting one where he could even get a look. With all of the activity around my stand site I figured my odds were very good. I arrived at my stand just before sun up and got situated and readied myself for the "impending" shot. Of which elk never materialized after sitting there for several hours, I got tired of this and gathered up my gear and climbed down and grabbed my card from the trail camera and headed back to camp. Once there I loaded the card into the lap top only to find out my "hot spot" was now completely devoid of any wildlife, with the exception of a doe mule deer and a raven. The other cameras in the area revealed similar results leaving me with few options other than spot and stalk. My buddy had few encounters and bulls were still quiet as the weather was mild, that is until around 2 pm when it started to cloud up and began to thunder and lightning which turned into a down pour with hail. For whatever reason this triggered an urge to go on a hike and since I was completely focused on my new found mission and ignored the fact that my awning on my trailer was level. I headed out into the down pour with my waterproof clothes and water resistant shoes focused on harvesting a mature cow. After an hour of this the skies began to clear a bit, although there was still plenty of thunder. I finally hear a bugle, and another and another, closing the distance I found a huge bull with cows, unfortunately they saw me 1st and trotted off with me in pursuit. By the time I had circled in front of them I had traveled several miles from camp and an unfamiliar area, the good thing was I had several bugling bulls all around me with cows which presented a whole new problem-too many eyes, ears and noses to get me within range. I tried several times to get close, always with the same result. I pulled out, marked the area on my GPS and headed back to camp. Upon arrival I noticed my awning was now "U" shaped due to the large amount of water that collected during the storm, however I was wiped out from my walk and too tired to care.

Monday morning came with high hopes as both of us headed to this area, morning was slow as all the elk went away from us and we never caught up to them. Walking into the area from a different direction early afternoon we were discussing the game plan as we talked quietly while walking to a vantage point. My buddy and I saw the elk at the same time through smaller trees, at 80 yards we couldn't tell at first if it was a bull or cow due to the cover. After a few minutes we determined it was a cow and I was on my way at a snails pace, she worked her way out of the brush and into a small opening with only two trees between us. During the stalk I had little hope of getting close as the wind was swirling and the pine needles now dry from the afternoon sun made the 60 yard stalk seem futile. Fortunately she was focusing on eating every blade of grass in her path and cared little about anything else. I made it to my self determined goal, a tree that obstructed our views of one another, now all I had to do was side step, pull the bow back and shoot, which is exactly what I did, right over her back. With the sound of the arrow now bouncing between limbs and trees down range distracting her, I had enough time to pull a fresh arrow, nock, side step and release. This time the arrow found its mark with that unmistakable sound, she wheeled around and took a few steps forward into another shooting lane. I loaded another arrow, pulled back, released just as she spun around missing her completely, I caught the arrows flight just as it impacted a rock and flew skyward.

My buddy walked down to me as we quietly listened, we heard a crash over the hill as she tumbled a few feet down the hill out of our sight. We made our way in her direction and found her about 75 yards from where I had made the shot. My buddy went to get the quad while I dressed her out, during this process a decent 5X5 walks up the hill and decides to graze 20 yards from me in plain site.

I was using Easton Carbon arrows with Slick Trick Razorbacks, the arrow easily passed though the elk and embedded the broadhead completely in a juniper 25 yds. away.

IMG_6434_zpsc5ccd803.jpg

IMG_6438_zps4945fb56.jpg

Guest wdenike

I will probably catch a lot of flack for this. But you did an exceptional job. Those that think they have this game dialed in would more often than not struggle with their cow tag. As the cows are the brains of the outfit, and when they bring their A game. Many end up going home with an empty sack!! Any way again Great Job and I'm Sure a great time was had. In addition to some real good EATIN.

Take care, Willie

Nice job as great write up!!

Yes ,indeed it is a trophy. Congratulations on your elk. It's going to be some good eating for sure. Thanks for sharing your story and picturs. :)

TJ