Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

3 1/4 ammo in a 2 3/4 gun?

Long story short, hunted private property the last weekend of dove season, got rained on early in the a.m and left without picking up all our empties. I know the owner well so I called and told him I'd be back to clean up. Go back today and I'm picking up 2 3/4 hulls and 3 1-4 hulls. My rem 1100 is 2 3/4. And I'm pretty sure I bought only 2 3/4 shells. First year with a 12 gauge. Now... If I did get a box or so of 3 1/4 what damage will be done? Other than the obvious catastrophic failure.

I really don't think they make a 3 1/4 inch shot shell. I would expect a 2 3/4 inch shell to measure roughly 3 1/4 inches long after fired and the crimp expanded though.

I dont think they would even fit in the gun, ya dang idgit.

3 1/4 is the dram equivelant. That is basically how much powder is in the hull.

If you measure them, they will be 2 3/4 long after they are fired.

When I was a kid I accidentally picked up a box of 3-1/2" 12 ga. shells for my dads 3" gun. We (a buddy and I) didn't figure it out until we were in the mountains near Reserve, NM and nowhere close to somewhere we could pick up a different box. We shot the shells anyway (I was 18) and the only issue we had was that they wouldn't eject because they were too long. We had to cut out every round with a leatherman. We shot the entire box that way. Dad still shoots that scatter gun every year and its never had a problem. He still doesn't know that we did that.

• Like 1

3 1/4 is referring to the dram equivalent of powder... Even though the spent hulls are longer it matters not. As long as they are 2 3/4" or somewhere near it (shotshells are rarely 2.75" on the dot) you'll be good to go. I've never seen any estate shotgun ammo in the 3" or 3.5" magnums... I know they make them, but nobody really carries them. If you want to see freaky spent hulls, buy a box of the Federal paper hull target loads... Blast from the past right there!

I dont think they would even fit in the gun, ya dang idgit.

I agree. Learn a little more before you use a gun. :rolleyes:

• Like 1