Sign in to follow this  
NYAZHunter

Scouting 36B

Finally made the 5 hour trip south to the unit, deer in good supply . Pena Blanca lake closed , campground on Ruby Road closed due to the govt. shut down. Border patrol on Ruby Rd. almost non existant , no hunters scouting , just a cloudless quiet weekend .

Biggest surprise , tank near our campsite bone dry , first time in 20 years.

No doubt the next 17 days are going to fly by.

I'm ready .

J

Finally made the 5 hour trip south to the unit, deer in good supply . Pena Blanca lake closed , campground on Ruby Road closed due to the govt. shut down. Border patrol on Ruby Rd. almost non existant , no hunters scouting , just a cloudless quiet weekend .

Biggest surprise , tank near our campsite bone dry , first time in 20 years.

No doubt the next 17 days are going to fly by.

I'm ready .

J

i was wondering about the BP with the shut down going on. all this during the first major cool down of the year. i bet they are smuggling a lot of people and a lot weight right now.

Heading out this weekend to scout 36B myself. I hope the entire unit isn't bone dry. I also have the first hunt.

Heading out this weekend to scout 36B myself. I hope the entire unit isn't bone dry. I also have the first hunt.

I had the first hunt down there last year. Be warned it can be VERY hot during that early hunt. Last year it was. I saw plenty of very nice bucks and I'm sure you'll be in for a good time. I'm hunting up north this year, otherwise I'd be right back in good 'ole 36B!

Was down there yesterday, some of the creeks still had running water. All the big stock tanks still holding water. Only saw one other person scouting and of course some hippies.

That's good to hear on the water situation. I am expecting it to be hot and will have plenty of drinking water in my pack.

I know allot of people that hunt 36b and go to the buenos aires refuge area but dont discount the other side if the mountain off the I-19 near Tubac. This is some rough country but definitely not as heavily populated with hunters, Kots of good camping and lots of deer. The tumacacori mountain range is a beautiful spot. Be physucally prepared for a hard hunt and to see some illegals.