Sign in to follow this  
Apache7mm

Dewey's Bull, Malay Gap Archery Elk

Good stuff. Nice bull! Sorry to hear about your meat, but very cool story on how you found him. Thanks for sharing.

/>

Great bull, with a unique rack. I have heard of the Malay gap hunt. What's that area like up there , as far as the terrain?

Terrain is from rolling juniper hills into steep rugged canyon country. Also there's the drainages of the Black river area (Malay border to Apache NF and FAIR). Other areas of mix woodlands of pondi forest and thick oak and juniper flats.

Hunter pressure consists of 5 tribal and 5 nonmembers per hunt. There's two hunts. Sept 1-15 second hunt from 16-end of sept.

Excellent hunts which ever you choose IMO. I rarely encountered other hunters. Elk activity? It just depends....hit or miss.

First hunt this year the bulls weren't active til the last week. Other years first hunt was awesome. Sometimes limited water sources or other times ponds everywhere.

I personally like the first hunt. Still somewhat dry and water sitting can be productive.

Bulls encountered this year....280-320" common. Grind it out 340-400+"!

A few years back 402" Malay archery bull taken by nonmember.

Most likely a Dry lake transient bull crossing the boundary. Which is very common when rut activity is high.

Either way excellent hunts.

• Like 1

Awesome bull, congrats - glad you were able to find him even though the meat was lost. Total stud using your setup!