Sign in to follow this  
Apache7mm

Dewey's Bull, Malay Gap Archery Elk

My bow is high tech in every way, and I struggle to kill sometimes. Dewey killed a great bow with a true stick and string! That is impressive!

Congratulations, Dewey. Great job, awesome bull!

First off....it was a dead head after 3 days of search/recovery. Also my 5 rez mutts got to the head in my backyard and nawed the nose off.

I shot the bull at 7 yds. Bull went approximately 1200yds before dying. At 7 yds the arrow penetrated 18-20". I figure a single lung hit since I could hear it gurgling with labored breathing at 40yds. I found 3/4 of a 32" P.O.C. arrow. Bull was slightly quartering towards when I released a cedar arrow into his vitals behind right shoulder. After the shot it got "hairy", rain thunder lightening. We came back 2-3hrs (9pm) later with 5 helpers. We left at 1am since we crossed 4 creek crossings.Roads became water canals. Next day swollen road crossings until 2pm. 8 apaches searched high and low all the next day no elk. Second day Nada. Finally on the fourth day while bulls still bugling nearby I found it. Well my great great great grandpa pointed the way. Found bear tracks crossing road with yotes nearby. Watched raves soaring and that's where I found it.

I shot twice and drew four times through the entire hunt. Four bulls at less than 42yds.I missed a gimme shot at 25yds on the 3rd day, pin was off!!!haha I just shot high and missed nothing else to it.

Well After that it was all a foot race. Too much people traffic and random calling.Myself haha. So the last five days no calling, ambush Indian style it was from there on.

The Good luck.....that I happened on two bulls locked in combat.

Bad luck there was storm front that day! Severe rain washed my chance to recover any meat. I can track....I love it...but I still have trouble tracking in water. Maybe I need to develop my nose instead. I'm still PO'ed no venison in the ref'er.

• Like 4

That is what we all strive for. The determination, patience, and perseverance to put an end to the story with pics of the man holding the TROPHY.

Great job and great bull.

It just goes to show it's not equipment, not the "newest" calls on the market or any of that BS being aired.

Just hunt. Develop tracking stalking skills know your quarry and especially the area and how they use it. 800# animal leaves alotta sign. Early in the season bulls weren't bugling so I was cutting tracks and following them.

One thing I've come to know about hunting with a limited range equipment is I rely on ALL those skills all the time.

• Like 1

That is one bad butt looking bull!!

Dewey,my hat is off to you for a job well done.We met you up at Point of Pines on the turkey hunt,and you brought yourhomemade bow,and arrows into camp.Very nice bull,congrats!!!!