Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

december/january strategies

Im going to start scouting for the late archery season here this next week and im wondering how yall get it done, ill be hunting with a recurve and will do some spot and stalk and glassing but im also looking at sitting a blind, is sitting water ffective this time of year or should i be looking at saddles or trails to sit? thanks for any input and tips and tricks. Daniel

Find the does. +1 desertbowhunter

Bucks dont really care about the water because they are chasing dies, However does will go to water so its not always a bad idea if you sit water in a blind. My advice is get out now and start with the salt and put it near water tor along trails you know deer are using based off of sign or trail cam pics. What allot of people dont know if what you can use to attract bucks to an area. Go to the forum under coues deer hunting and find the topic "what is considered baiting" and you will get a clear answer from the AZGFD. you can use artificial attractants and coverscents as lng as they dont contain any pure doe urine. Another strategy is to get on a ridge for a good vantage point and glass your butt of.

find a resident group of does with fawns and you stay on them throughout the fall. Pattern the does and the boys will follow when it kicks in.

I don't even scout for the late hunt anymore... I just try and remember where I have seen the does and go back to the general area and glass. as stated above if spot n stalk stay mobile and cover as much ground as possible. sittin a trail in some areas may be effective but A D D is a factor... LOL!

James

Just put cameras out in new area this weekend will know more in about 10 days. Salt? Didn't think you could use that thought ranchers only.

Sometimes soft grunts will work, I grunted a little 4 by 2 buck in to me that I was watching chasing doe's on a hill side. After a couple of loud grunts to get his attention I grunted soft and he came running in. He is a young buck, Im not sure if a mature buck would come in as aggressive or not. I shot him at 40 yards broadside. He stopped while he was looking back behind him at the doe's he left behind. Pretty sure he would have come in had I had a decoy for him to see. I have never had any luck with Coue's using a bleat. They just flat ignore it.

GBA

How about calls during Dec/Jan timeframe ? Anything effective for calling them in ?

I had a Doe and Fawn walk by the blind every day last January and that fawn would always bleat a couple times to find momma... so I guess you could use a "can" call and sound like a deer- but I usually don't grunt or rattle.