My dad and I hunted 36B Friday and today. We didn't fill either tag yet but we're going to head out and hunt Tuesday and Wednesday to finish out our hunt. We did see some pretty cool stuff while we were down there. Friday afternoon my dad spotted a 100+ inch buck about an hour before shooting light was gone, but unfortunately was unable to get a shot. We set up early before sunup the next day but never found the buck again.

I had a herd of about 15 javelina come all the way across a canyon and walked within 20 yards of me and never knew I was there. There were about 8 little piglets in the herd, here's a pic:

DeerHUnting007.jpg

Also, here's my tribute to you Scottyboy......I was pretty excited to find this(actually my dad found it). It's really not as easy to find as the picture makes it look.

DeerHUnting014.jpg

DeerHUnting012.jpg

Congrats to all who have filled there tags, we are going to head back out and hunt Tuesday and Wednesday and hopefully fill ours. daryl_s

Hey Daryl, Good luck on the tag filling. Hold out for that 100 plus if you can since there are some bigguns in that unit.

Get a good one for me too!

Marlon

A tribute?? WOW!! For little 'ol me???

First off, I'd like to thank the producers and the staff for making this all possible.. Secondly, I'd like to thank my family and all of my friends for all the love and support through all of these trying times... and lastly, I'd like to thank all of you.... the fans... for making all of this a possibility.. I love you all!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, good luck on the remainder of your hunt.. Hopefully you'll find that big one again.. thery're in there for sure.

Glad you found that rock as well. Pretty cool, huh?

Hey Scotty,how are you going to find any deer lying on your back with that dang sombrero on your head? What unit were you in,looks like 36a? :D :D

Thanks for the pics and update. Best of luck to you and your Dad ;)

Coues 4X4,

I only spend about 65% of my time laying around with the sombrero on, taking siestas en la playa... :lol:

The rest of the time, I'll be in the hills...

See, ask Daryl... that danged rock is a bit of a hike to get to!! But its worth it for sure.. Pretty nice view from up there..

7-31-2006-242.jpg

I must remind everybody that it was Scottyboy who first posted the pics of the rock....I guessed the mountain correctly and then while hunting over the weekend my dad found it. It is pretty dang cool to see and the view from up there is amazing. While my dad was taking my pic up there 2 does busted out right by us. And like Scottyboy says it is a pretty good hike up there. We hunted up there for 2 days and only 1 other hunter made it up that way, all the others were driving around or hunting not too far from the road. Unfortunately, as pointed out HV found the rock too, what a shame. I bought a new Eberlestock X1 pack today, I can't wait to take off this afternoon and get back out there and be up there reallllly early tomorrow morning. I'll have my report for late Wednesday or early Thursday.

Coues 4X4,

I only spend about 65% of my time laying around with the sombrero on, taking siestas en la playa... :lol:

The rest of the time, I'll be in the hills...

See, ask Daryl... that danged rock is a bit of a hike to get to!! But its worth it for sure.. Pretty nice view from up there..

7-31-2006-242.jpg

Oh my gosh! Scotty you must scare the crap out of the I.A.s. Not to mention the beach vendors.

Bob

Okay, I got back about 1 AM last night. Unfortunately it was tag soup for both of us, but not for lack of effort. We hunted up high Tuesday morning but it just wasn't happening. I was glassing down in a flatter area and seeing way more deer. Tuesday PM and all day Wednesday we hunted by some water holes down low and saw a lot of deer but couldn't tag out. My dad missed a nice buck from 260 yards but he fell earlier in the day and hit his scope on the ground. He later missed a coyote from 20 yards so I think his scope got knocked out of position.

I saw these 2 bucks on Tuesday at 8:30 AM but I was about a half mile away and up 700 ft higher in elevation. The bucks didn't hang around long because there was a coyote on the other side of the waterhole. The picture didn't come out real good but I could tell that they were both definitely bucks. They were the only 2 bucks I saw the whole trip.

DeerHunting2006.jpg

I don't think that anybody else hunted the area we were in. On Wednesday I saw 15 deer, 11 of which I had in range but they were all does and fawns. I saw more fawns than I have ever seen in my life. Hopefully the fawn crop was this good for all of the southern units. I also saw about 15 coyotes total, I didn't shoot any of them because I was holding out for a buck. I think I'll go down there again and thin out the coyote population some.

Overall it was a good trip, we hunted hard and saw a lot of wildlife and hopefully we're that much smarter for next time. Congrats to everybody who tagged out and good luck to those are yet to go.

Sounds like a fun hunt. And you were able to hunt the whole hunt with your dad which makes it even better. Thanks for the pics and the great story.