Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Locks for airline travel

I'll be flying next Friday for my out of state Mule deer hunt. This is the first time I've flown with my rifle and I got a great deal on a new Plano Bone Collector Rifle case. After laying out my rifle, ammo, tripod, knives and accessories I am quite impressed.

My problem is I can't find any TSA approved locks that fit this case. The small luggage locks I have are too small. I found some TSA cable locks that will fit, but they look like I could cut them with nail clippers. Who sells a pad lock size TSA lock locally? I've checked WalMart, Target, HomeDepot, Lowe's and the luggage store in the mall.

Should I just use the cheapies, or not even worry about them being TSA?

post-5874-0-30688400-1381629399.jpg

post-5874-0-43734200-1381629466_thumb.jpg

post-5874-0-94920700-1381629493_thumb.jpg

TSA approved means they have keys for them. If they see a lock like that they will cut it off and put a nice card in your gun case saying it was inspected.

I have flown a total of 8 times with my guns, I just had a lock on it that I picked up at Wal-mart, they are a key lock. No problems with TSA about the locks. Before I flew anywhere with my guns I was told that Southwest Airlines is the most gun friendly, but that sometimes your gun would come off with the luggage instead of going to the baggage claim room like it's supposed to, everytime that I have flown it's been with Southwest and my gun has come off with the luggage 3 out of 8 times, so that is something to watch for. Everyone knows what a gun case looks like, so make sure your guns go home with you and not a stranger!

• Like 2

/> If they see a lock like that they will cut it off and put a nice card in your gun case saying it was inspected.
The dial padlock was just for a size reference.

You can also have ammo in your case as long as its in original package and not in magazine.

I have a 730am SWA flight so I'll be getting there extra early.

The picture of the Masterlocks with cables have the TSA keyhole.

I think we have the same case. If you feel more comfortable putting extra locks on that is up to you, but the locks that are part of the latches for that Plano case fill the TSA requirement. I've never flown with ammo, so not sure about the rules, but I always thought they had to be in a separate case. I've only flown on American and US Air with guns and like 10Turkeys have had my guns come off with the luggage and other times I had to pick it up at the baggage claim office. Just assume that it is going to come off with the other luggage that way it won't walk away. If you don't see it, then check the baggage claim office.

You are not supposed to use TSA locks on firearms. They will inspect the case with you present and then you lock it.

Dead on!! Not necessary. TSA locks on an other luggage, however

You can use a regular padlock. The ticket agent will have you put in a card that you sign stating that the rifle is unloaded. They then have you lock the case and TSA should not have to open it again, so you do not have to use TSA locks. They have always had me wait around for about 10 minutes to make sure that TSA does not want me to open the case. I am not sure on the ammo. I have always just put it in my regular checked baggage.

ammo is a no-go... either ship it ground or have the outfitter find some for you and have it waiting when you get there. I was told nope on ammo for a flight back home to NY a few years ago.

ammo is a no-go... either ship it ground or have the outfitter find some for you and have it waiting when you get there. I was told nope on ammo for a flight back home to NY a few years ago.

I doubt they new the rules or it wasn't in a box originally designed for the ammo.

Another good idea is to print out the airlines and TSA policy's and carry them with you when checking your bags.

Looks like it's up to the individual airlines, and we all know how knowledgeable those ticket-counter folks are!!!

From the TSA site:

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge- Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packaged in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.