Sign in to follow this  
rstahl

10 year old son's first buck!

All the long day's scouting and hours behind the glass payed off!

Finally the weekend before the Junior hunt my brother went back into a place we had scouted a couple weeks earlier and found a really good buck. Opening morning couldn't get here fast enough, not sure who was more excited me or my son.

After a long week opening morning arrived and we hiked in to the spot we wanted to glass from. Glassed this buck and the two point he was with first thing but still wanted to find the bigger one. We never did find the bigger one but after about 3 1/2 hrs of glassing, 8 bucks (this one being the biggest) and countless doe I couldn't talk him into holding out any longer, he was more than ready to shoot his first buck. We saw where this buck bedded so the long stalk began. About an hour later we were on the hill above him looking in the thicket we last saw him. All the sudden my cousin said "there's a deer", it was them up feeding again. Seemed like forever trying to hurry and get set up and wait for a good shot. Finally 280 yds he walked into an opening and stood perfect, told my boy take a nice easy squeeze on the trigger when he was ready. As soon as the Western Precision Rifle 7wsm went off the deer piled he got him!! I will never forget that moment I was one excited and proud dad. Kayden couldn't wait to get down to his first, we gathered our stuff together and headed down the hill to see his trophy up close.

It scored 91 3/8 and I couldn't happier for him. He definitely deserved it, he was with me for pretty much every long day and sat through hours of glassing scouting for his big first hunt!

I Want to thank my brother (to bad he couldn't be there for the shot) and my cousin's Cleve and Garret couldn't have done it without you guys.

post-8783-0-03382600-1381809438_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Kayden fantastic first deer! That is a great shot too! That is so neat you were able to be so patient and then get it done when the time came. Congrats

Way to go Kayden, that's a great deer! Congratulations! Heck of a shot too!!!

Super nice deer Kayden Congrats!

Congrats Kayden! I'm so proud of you, Your going to be an amazing hunter! Wish i could have been there to see him hit the dirt, but there will be many more to come! For all of you that don't know Kayden this little boy has been out in the hills with me and his dad since he was like 3yr old. He can glass up deer right along with us and is an amazing shot! He will walk his little but off, and never complain one bit. He was ready to kill his first deer worked hard for it, scouting, scouting, and more scouting, then when the time came stayed calm took his time and made a one shot kill! These deer are in trouble with Kayden and my boy who will be on hid first hunt next year! Congrats again bud!!!

• Like 1

Huge congrats to Kayden on a beautiful buck. Awesome to get the whole family involved - and even cooler to see the huge smile on Kayden's face with that awesome buck.

Is it just me , but the junior hunters these days seem to be doing much better than the older fellas did when they were juniors. I'm amazed at all the nice bucks the little fellas are knocking down. Excellent job kayden.

Thanks everybody! This was definitely a hunt I will never forget so proud of Kayden!! And congrats to all the other youth hunters some nice bucks killed this year. Good luck to everybody with a hunt coming up, mine is next weekend hopefully I'll have another story to post!