Sign in to follow this  
bonecollector

NM Antelope 2013

Here are a few pics from my recent NM Antelope hunt with Borderland Adventures. It was a short but fun hunt. The weather was cold, windy, and raining on Thurs when I arrived but we were able to find some goats right away and that got my blood pumping. We found about 3 different herds with nice bucks in them the night before the opener. The bucks were rutting pretty hard which made it kind of hard to get into shooting range with all those does watching.

Opening morning was upon us and the weather couldn't have been any better. There was a layer of frost on the windshield of the vehicles and not a cloud in the sky, it finally felt like fall.

post-3465-0-80644200-1382038671_thumb.jpg

The ranchbhouse sits up on a hill so the view is awesome over looking all the country. With gloves on and coffee in hand I start to glass with the 15's turning up a couple different herds. We come up with a game plan and head out for the morning hunt.

We headed out and look over the bucks but dont see anything we want to shoot this early in the hunt. We head back to the ranch house to have some breakfast and take a little break before we head back out to look for some more bucks.

In the afternoon we head out to the Mesa where we saw what we thought was a good buck the night before. We head out and get close to the area we want to be and find some trees before the mesa that we could glass from. We spot the the herd so we head in their direction to get a closer look. We lok them over and find the buck running his does around.

post-3465-0-65142700-1382040732_thumb.jpg

The herd fed behind a rolling hill and just out of sight so we made our move to get into shooting range. We keep checking the herd as we make our way to them. They are still feeding so we keep on our stalk. All of a sudden we look up and see the herd busting out. We were busted! Knowing we were the only ones on the ranch hunting Matt brought the HUD decoy and it worked to perfection. After Matt held up the decoy the herd made their way back toward us. The does eventually left the area but the buck was very interested in the decoy. I was proned out on the bipod waiting for the buck to come in to shooting range. The buck came all the way in to about 75 yds but I had no shot due to the high grass. We eventually get busted and the buck now takes off and is about 225 yds if I remember correctly but I now have a clear shot. I shoot, I miss. I am still mad at myself for even taking that shot as he was starting to move as I was putting pressure on the trigger. The buck takes off and I think we are done here after shooting at him. The buck now at 600 yds and Matt holds up the decoy again and the buck happens to turn to us to see the decoy and cant resist having another buck in the area to get his ladies. The buck stomps all the way into 75 yds again and this time I am setup on a dead yucca with a clear shot and I put him down. Thanks for reading.

post-3465-0-09794000-1382044111_thumb.jpg

post-3465-0-65779900-1382044239_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Congrats on a great buck Shelvin!

• Like 1

just got back from wyoming got 10 speed goats 2 bucks at 80". cook some up last night. try cutting some steaks into chunks and roll it in seasoned flour and fry it up with potatos and onions in bacon grease, your tong will kick the crap out of your forhead trying to get all the flavor of your lips. give it a try, again awesome goat