Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Bedding + Free Float

I am considering doing this to my factory BDL stock on my .300 win mag. is it worth the time and effort on a factory stock? I really don't want to shell out $300 on a B&C stock right now but I was thinking that bedding + free floating on this stock should help until I do.

If I decide to do this on my own, how much grinding should I do? I have seen several videos and some guys just chisel a little around the recoil lug and some guys grind upwards of a 1/4" around the whole action and barrel taper. Also, how much tape should I use for the free float?

Thanks for any tips guys, as you can tell I am a rookie at this stuff.

It is definetly worth it! Acra glass is what I've used, as well as standard 2 part epoxy. Make sure you buy a quality release agent or, if your balsy use a good cooking spray. (Never had a problem) usually you want to float the barell and bed an inch or two in front of the front lug, as well as the lug. I bed the rear tang and the bottom metal too.

Every person I have spoken with who shoots long range says that glass and pillar bedding are a must HOWEVER, interestingly enough they have all remarked that its has to be done correctly. I was told if you glass bed issue now you have permanent issues.

I want to glass and pillar bed my BDL but I think I am going to put a synthetic stock on it first. I love the wood but I want something more durable.

I wonder why a bedding issue now would cause issues if you changed stocks? Seems like if you had an issue with the bedding you could just throw out the stock and get another. Maybe the issue is with pillar bedding? And if I am going to do one, I am going to do both.

Look at stockystocks.com for cheaper prices on stocks.

If I were to bed the factory stock, I would remove enough material to create enough space to have a solid untracked bedding job. With stiffer stocks you could probably go thinner. I would use Devcon steel putty along with pipe tape from the hardware store.

Getting a stick w an aluminum bedding block, probably will be good to go if you don't want to mess with pillar bedding. Barrel will also be floating if you by the stock for your specific rifle.

I have a Rem 700 BDL in .300 WM and because its a family heirloom, I left the factory stock in place but had it bedded/floated by Randy Lawson when I lived in Tucson. You can't go wrong if its done correctly. Mine is an absolute tack driver with custom loads.